I think i might have hernia

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
36 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 5:27pm

Okay so today i found a very painful lump above my penis around my groin area...What happened was i was doing some ab workouts and all of a sudden i get like a sharp pain on my groin.. Checked my groin and found a bulge/lump....

It hurts when i apply pressure, so its really tender but other than that its fine...I had to stop training for a while but i went back into my ab workout after a 5 min break...

Im pretty scared because im 22 years old.. i don't wanna go to through surgery and have problems this early on..

31 Aug
my boyfriend thought he had that because he lifts weight when he went to the docter they said it was a swollen lymphoid and just to rest and it would feel better.
01 Sep
Yea that's a hernia. I had same thing around same age but it would bulge some days and not on others. That's when I started working out again and it went away. I haven't felt anything or seen a bulge in a long time. But if its really painful you gotta get it fixed
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 6:07pm
via iOS
Yup, it might be a hernia. But don't get all worked up about it. You might not need any surgery. I live with a hernia and doctors tell me chances that it ever needs to be operated on are extremely slim. You might be feeling that lump because it just happened and the tissue is swollen. Once the swelling subsides, you might not feel a lump at all, just some tenderness.

Calm down. You cannot erase the past. If you do have a hernia and it turns out it does need surgery, you will not be saved by freaking out about it now. Chances are, it isn't as bad as it seems. Fear always makes things seem worse than they really are.

Go see a doctor as soon as you can. Needless to say, until then, you must stop any and all workouts that have anything to do with your core.
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 6:10pm
via iOS
Oh, I also wanted to say that the pain and the lump might be an organ pushing against your muscle, so it might be a warning against overdoing your workout rather than an actual hernia. Like a hickey that an organ could have given to the muscle.
Image_thumb
36 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 7:33pm

Thanks, i hope so. I don't want to stop training forever. I love it...

Image_thumb
36 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 7:33pm

oh and im going to see the doctor on monday

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 7:46pm
via iOS
Will you post again once you have a diagnosis? Either way, it will help others. If you do have a hernia, it will serve as a warning, and if it was a false alarm, it will help other people in your current situation to keep calm and not freak out in vain.

By the way, if those abs are really yours, I think you can rest assured that you don't need to develop it any more, just maintain it. 

All the best!
Image_thumb
36 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 10:03pm

yes that is my body..

I had a diagnosis on the phone.. Because its painless.. its not that serious.. could be a swollen tissue like you said.. But im going to the doctor on monday

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Sep 1, 2013 7:37am

I had surgical hernia repair in my early 20s. If you do need it .. i would just say do it. Very minor. Its outpatient stuff and mine hasnt bothered me for 20 years now. Glad its done! You can definitely still work out once you get thru recovery. Dont sweat that. GLad u r seeing the doc. Right thing to do.

Image_thumb
36 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 4:50pm

SO i went to the doctors. It is a hernia - I have an operation booked on the 25th september. Its not an inguinal Hernia its something else however shes saying its just basically an intestine poking out of a torn muscle and needs to have key hole surgery and put a mesh over it.

But yeah, its fine... I'll have to start all over again.. So if some people can give me some light exercises to do when im recovering... because 8-12 weeks without training. Fuckkk that shit... im so used to the gym... I mean i'll slowly start it again progressively but i can't do nothing for 2 months.

Image_thumb
36 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 4:52pm

Its not nice having a bit of an intestine poking out of your stomach. However she said if i train now.. theres a possibility i could get another one or burst my current one.. Which im guessing my intestines would just come out and i'd die. Well looks like im on a thin line with my life... all for training....

Image_thumb
16 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 5:17pm
via Android

Well I had a hernia operation when I was 9 years old and since then I've always feared to join a gym or workout (my hernia was not caused by going to gym or working out, if I remember correctly it was because of the heavy school bag I used to carry lol). I had Inguinal hernia and got operated for it. I still avoid gym and workout and feel the fear that it might push upwards again if I stress

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 6:10pm
via iOS
I'm so sorry you do have a hernia! I am sure what you mind the most is not the surgery (I am glad they won't cut you open) and the recovery but losing the result of all your hard work. I mean, if you work hard enough to get a hernia from it, you should at least be entitled to reap the benefits, right? Such a shame...

I think doctors will be of much more help than this community when you will need to figure out how to work out after this. Ask a lot of questions about what you can and can't do. That will give you lots of clues on what workouts on here are right for you.

Every case is different. While you will need to be more reasonable about your limits, I don't think you need to give up training. You will most likely have to be less aggressive and choose your exercises carefully. But your already well trained, solid muscles might allow you to do more than could be done by a hernia patient who has never worked out. Although advice from this community will come in handy, you had better rely on what your doctor says to be sure you are not overdoing it.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51