Thought on flu vaccine?

6 posts | Original | Recent
60 Posts
Oct 17, 2013 3:06am
via Android

So..I had to get a flu shot for work due to..apparently its new health care law in new york for health care workers. I can see there point however I am completeley bummed because I got the shot last week..and have been out of work since monday with u guessed it..the flu :-( what is your take on getting the shot?

289 Posts
Oct 17, 2013 5:54am
via Android

I'm a med student. In the UK it's voluntary for healthcare staff to have the vaccine, but I had mine. I'm pro-vaccine. It's unlikely to benefit me (influenza rarely kills healthy young people like us) but it will benefit my patients who are elderly, frail, or sick (if I gave them the flu it could kill them).

So the arguement behind healthcare workers receiving vaccination is 'to improve herd immunity' or rather to protect the vulnerable from infection.

17 Oct
I do agree with you that it does benefit the patients. I guess from my stand point when I was working directly with patients I can see the need for getting the vaccine. Now i work in the billing and dont have that contact so I dont really see the point in getting the vaccination..its one of these new department of health regulations for all healthcare workers they are implementing in new york...going to be hard to get used to.
226 Posts
Oct 17, 2013 11:46am
via iOS
I am not a health care worker, but I disagree with getting vaccinated for certain sicknesses, like the flu. The flu shot might protect against the flu, but it can also give the flu. Additionally, there are around four different flu viruses, and the vaccine is only good for one each year, so you could technically get the flu more then once in a year (unless scientists have developed a vaccine with all four). Furthermore, I believe that getting sicknesses strengthens the immune system to better combat worse diseases. When it comes to the elderly, however, I think that they need to use their own judgement to decide whether to take the risk of getting the shot or the risk of not getting the shot. I also disagree with being vaccinated for chickenpox, because with proper care, eating habits, and cleanliness, it will be very minor and only last for a very short period of time.
17 Oct
I agree with you as well. Im not for the vaccination..i believe our immune systems get stronger like you suggested..I dont like putting stuff into my body it dosent seem right.
289 Posts
Oct 18, 2013 6:41am

You're wrong about chickenpox - if you're unlucky enough to get it as an adult or when pregnant it can be very dangerous indeed. What you both seem to be missing here is an understanding of the concept of herd immunity. Vaccination is as much (possibly more) about protecting populations as it is about protecting individuals. For example someone who works in billing and is unvaccinated could harmlessly carry a virus and pass it on to a vulnerable person (directly or via another healthcare worker), in turn the virus could kill the vulnerable person. And let's not forget that the infected person in billing could continue to pass the virus on to a number of other people who, in turn, could pass it on to others!!!

Has the vaccine benefited the person in billing? No.

Has it benefited the population? Yes.

Another way to think about this is to ask yourself the question 'do I have an elderly, chronically ill, vulnerable, or hospitalised relative?' If the answer is yes then ask yourself 'how would I feel if they died because they were too ill to receive the vaccine and their healthcarers refused to get vaccinated because they thought it was better for their own immune systems?!' 

If a decent number in a population is vaccinated the virus would have been unable to spread, unable to harm or kill anyone.

So I think we have a moral and ethical obligation to receive vaccination. Moreover, I'm suprised to find Christians of all people arguing against doing something for partially-altruistic reasons.

So by all means be anti-vaccination, but don't expect others to do you a favour by being vaccinated!!

950 Posts
Oct 18, 2013 8:18am
via Android

My thoughts on vaccines is that a lot of people who have no business having medical opinions somehow think they're entitled to have medical opinions.

6 Posts
Jul 9, 2014 8:21pm
via Android

I guess it depends on where or what you do. A teacher should deff get the shot. Also if you work in a hospital. I heard people turn it down because it makes them feel Ill. I personally haven't had the shot in 5 years and I'm still kicking.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51