Are you training your energy systems?

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 20, 2013 3:36am

Greetings Skimblers,

I would like to share a litle of my personal story in hopes that it will help others. Recently, I have changed my focus from "working out" to "fitness" to "optimizing". In the past, as a competitive athlete, I trained primarily to improve my musclular and cardiovascular system. When my training volume increased in preparation for 2012 Ironman South Africa, rest, recovery and nutrition were added to the mix. I also discovered yoga, which added flexibility and the "mind-body" connection. After suffering some trauma and fatigue this year, I turned to Qi Gong which is the parent of Tai Chi and I started to learn about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Lately, I have also started seeing an accupuncturist. I have learned that just as there is a skeletal anatomy and a muscular anatomy, for example, there is also an "energy" anatomy which includes nvisible "points", "meridians" and "channels" and they are just a sreal as biceps, abs, and quads. This energy anatomy not only affects our major organs, and tissues from the cellular level, it also affects our emotions, how we feel, and even the external environmnet around us like our "auras" which in turn affect how we relate to other people and living things and how they relate to us. You know how someone has a "bad vibe"? Well, most of us never apply specific training principles to this energy anatomy. For the vast majority of us, we focus on cardio and strength training, and a good number of Skimblers also add yoga and stretching. But more important than any of these is the energy anatomy. Here's an example. On my first visit to the accupuncturist, he diagnosed that my spleen energy system was severely underperforming. As a result, I was not extracting the nutrition and Qi "energy" from the food, water and air I was consuming. This led to being malnourished even though I was eating what most consider to be a "clean", healthy diet. So for the past month I have focused on "energizing" my spleen system so that it can perform better. Today, the doctor said that my efforts were successful and that it is performing better, However, he then told me that I am not out of the woods yet. My liver energy system has and still is underperforming. That means I am not detoxifying like I should and toxins are building up in my body. This was a problem on my first visit, but the doctor told me there was no point in prescribing Chinese medicianl herbs so long as my spleen system wasn't working and I couldn't absorb the healing Qi of the medicine. So that is my focus, now. Anyway, all the energy systems 0 there are five, have an effect on everything. So if you have never trained these systems, I highly encourage you to investigate Qi Gong. I recommend the book Qi Gong Success and Qi Gong Healing Prescriptionsk, both by Ra Un Nefer Amen. I have created some basic Qi Gong exercises/workouts here on Skimble, too and have uploaded a video on youtube. In the future, I hope to see some more advanced Qi Gong workouts with full descriptions and visuals so that my Skimble family can optimize their health and fitness.

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Dec 20, 2013 10:19am
via Android

Interesting point. Personally i always recieve these kind of messages with some sceptism. Because of the large amount of fake things arround. But looks like this is benefitting you. Which is great.

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 20, 2013 11:56am
via Android

Yeah, i was like that too. Then i learned that the scholarship on this is 5000 years old and predates western medicine!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51