Should I lift weights at the gym with a bad back and spine?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 7:19am
via iOS

Whenever I go the gym, I tend to avoid the lifting weight exercises (using bars)

Should I be lifting weights or should I avoid it to prevent further injury to my back (I am short)

I was born with a bad spine  and no I am not injuried 

Thank you for the advice
26 Jan
You shouldn't lift weights because it could hurt your back
26 Jan
Doing some core work would help strengthen your spine and back making your posture a lot better when attempting to do weights. Don't lift really heavy weight its best to work on it, also when doing exercises please ask a personal trainer or a training buddy to spot u in case u have any trouble . Im a personal trainer self so that's what are there for
26 Jan
And too add us pts are not docs so if our injury gets worse please see our gp and physiotherapist
28 Jan
I have a workout I created called Back Stretch and Strengthen which I created from physical therapy sessions specific to my back injury. Every injury is different so the best thing would be to consult w a PT first. But in general, do resistance band and stretching exercises till you can handle light weights before you move to anything heavier, and if your back hurts the next day, dont do that exercise again (till you're stronger). Best luck!
Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 10:06am
via iOS
Life light weights. Avoid picking heavy weights from the floor. Preferable to sit on an incline bench about 100 degrees bent. If you feel you backs starting to become troublesome take a break or try a new exercise!
Image_thumb
35 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 12:02pm
via Android

Do some light deadlifts and slowly increase weight in coming weeks. Strenghthen your lower back mind you I dont know the injury

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 3:47pm
via Android

Dont know if you should lift weights cuz no idea about your injuries. But working on improving your core and lowerback strenght is never a bad idea.

26 Jan
No injury I was born with a bad back and spine
31 Jan
but what part of your back and what is wrong with it?
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 10:34pm
via Android

Its hard to say. Some ppl benefit from weighttraining because they strenghten the muscles arround to problem areas. For others the pressure and stress on the problem areas is to much and it causes more pain.

With the problem i would for sure start of light and under good guidance. You have probably a bigger risk when performing movements in bad form. So that should be avoided at all costs.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 26, 2014 10:38pm
via Android

Hi:-)

Icon_missing_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 11:50pm

Thank you for your response and support but I am not injuried in anyway

Its just my brother tells me not to lift weights (bars) and I know that I can't do heavy lifiting, especially with bars and so whenever I go to the gym, I always aviod doing bar related workouts.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51