Post ACL surgery

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 14, 2014 6:15am
via iOS
3 month post axle surgery. Trying to get in 3-5 work outs a week.

However I don't have enough Access to bike or elliptical. Any recomendations on acl safe cardio at home. I've got resistance bands and do a lot of core workouts.

Still a little unsure of jumping jacks and running yet.

Thoughts and experience?

Image_thumb
201 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 12:47am
via Android

Sorry too hear about your surgery man, two ACL tears myself so I know the feeling! Stay away from jumping jacks or any kind of pressure at different angles on that knee until you rebuild strength or released by your doc. But anyways if you have pool access you can do all kinds of cardio like running, high knees, and jumping without risk of doing damage. Strengthen your quad and you should be back to doing normal cardio in a few months! Best of luck man

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 2:35am
via iOS
Drake

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately access to pools is sporadic , when I'm traveling and the hotels have them.

I get the no jumping jacks. I tried one for shits and giggles. No giggles at the end of it. 

For now I'm doing low impact cardio. Kiss running and my karate though. 

Patience is not my strong suit. How long till you were doing everything as usual?  
Image_thumb
201 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 2:45am
via Android

No problem, yea I bet there were no giggles! I'm a year into my second surgery and jumping jacks will still irritate my knee if I do too many. Well like you I'm impatient and thought I was invisible to be honest, so 5 months post surgery I was back to doing all my usual workouts (I healed up fast) I started playing b ball and torn it again on month 6! Not worth it bc the second time I torn everything and messed up all my cartilage in that knee. That damn ACL is a pain in the ass man take your time with it.. how did you tear it by the way?

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 2:49am
via iOS
I tore it in a karate fight. Not sure if I got a kick and that tore it, or when I went to do a round house kick I didn't pivot my ankle first. All I know is that when I went for that kick I just dropped. 

Didn't know it was torn and just thought I pulled a muscle. So I kept training and then two months later did a mud run on the torn acl. When I scaled the climbing wall it popped again. Thankfully had enough adrenalin to finish the race. After that it completely locked by on me. 

I'm now 3.5 months post surgery. Healing well and ahead of schedule. 

But I hear you. I don't want to mess it up again. 
Image_thumb
201 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 3:02am
via Android

Haha sorry but that sounds just like my experience.. I played basketball on a torn ACL for a few weeks not even considering I may have torn a ligament in my knee.. it's hard to explain the feeling but while I was back peddling my knee just buckled and that was one of the most intense pains of my life which then made me see a doctor! Learned the hard way, well good luck to you man have a speedy recovery

13339462_10100198879541018_5646676805041898568_n_thumb
15 Posts
Feb 21, 2014 5:06am
via Android

I have dual blown ACLs and stick to workouts that are high rep but low impact, and pay close attention to form. Ellipticals are great for that. I'll do jump squats because they are straight vertical, but I won't do jumping jacks or full burpees or anything that could cause them to pop. Wearing a good brace helps, as does testing moves before doing them in a workout and making modifications as needed.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51