Anyone have a PCOS success story?

5 posts | Original | Recent

10593024_10204647388734842_337298271827999925_n_thumb
1 Post
Aug 13, 2014 6:23pm
via Android

Help! I am 26 and have been battling with PCOS and weight gain for a long time.. and suggestions

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Aug 14, 2014 3:50am
via Android

Hello there . I have been battling pcos for few years now and it is sooo hard to loose any waight . I did get help from my doctor he put me on metformin " anti diabetic " drug and it's helping a lot . Please give it a try it help me loose few pounds .

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 15, 2014 10:38am
via iOS
Metformin can help, but beware the side effects. I was on it for two years and lost 30lbs with probably 200 left to go, but it caused me constant bloating, gas, diarrhea, and stomach cramping, which are all well-known side effects. It got to the point where I couldn't even plan to go anywhere because I never knew when my gut would act up. I went off it and like magic, everything went back to normal. It really depends on how it affects you. I didn't experience any side effects for a few months, so I didn't even realize the metformin was what had caused my issues. I thought I had IBS.

I, too, have PCOS and it's been impossible losing weight for me. I've cut out soda and any sugary drinks, started eating more vegetables and fewer carbs, etc... Nothing has helped. My last frontier is exercise, which has been difficult because I also have fibromyalgia. Moving is painful, so exercise can be excruciating at times. I can't do cardio at all anymore because one of the medications I'm on causes severe sweating! It's ridiculous... I'll just cook dinner and my head is soaked. And that's not a drug I can quit as it's for depression and anxiety. Without it, I'm angry all the time and tend towards severe depression. However, strength training, I feel, is the answer for us girls.  Not only will you build more muscle, which burns more calories all the time, not just when you're exercising, but I've found that strength training also elevates my mood far more than cardio - but that could just be me. It's one of the few things I enjoy doing.

I actually just asked my doctor about Belviq. I don't know much about it, but it supposedly makes you feel full sooner. It's similar to an SSRI, however, so you can't take it with many antidepressants. 
Aug 16, 2014 4:45am
via Android

I am 27. Last year i was diagnosed w insulin resistance...I gained 30lbs in 2 years.   This year my obgyn explained the "2 for 1 package deal" of pcos/ir. It's been a struggle for me too.  I've only recently decided to delve into everything... diets,  exercise,  information.  I've finally realized that i have to stop cheating my body & expecting it to work. It's a lot of information & really overwhelming sometimes. I really liked a book you can buy from amazon,  The insulin resistance diet. It's about linking&balancing your food (for every 15g carbs, link at least 7g of protein-of course there's many more details) but it's not so scary & it has really helped me. 

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 16, 2014 6:37am

I just found out today that I've crossed over into the diabetic range. I was IR for years before this. My A1C is 6.6, so just over the limit. Now I'll get to monitor my blood sugar all the time and cut out all refined carbs. Not fun... Try to do something about IR before it turns into diabetes.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51