Quitting smoking

11 posts | Original | Recent
24 Posts
Oct 24, 2014 5:50am
via Android

Okay here's the deal I've been trying to quit smoking for 12 days now... Haven't picked one up .... I'm officially at the nail biting phase... Not the oral fixation phase but the nicotine wants nail biting till my cuticles bleed mode... Are there any former cigarette smokers with suggestions to help kick the addiction.... Please don't suggest eating things or lollipops.. I don't need something to supplement the nicotine...

I deff don't want to be the one to give up nicotine with nicotine seems kind of hypocritical to me.

25 Oct
I take a soccerball to work and "forget my smokes" so I don't have any to smoke. And my job is a smoke free work place so I have to walk off property if I wanted to smoke. Hope that helps
26 Oct
I am currently smoking, but I am getting ready to quit. When I quit in college (and it lasted for about 7 years), I found that when I was having a bad craving, if I drank a large glass of water by the time I finished the glass the craving had passed. The cravings only last a couple minutes. Good luck to you on your great decision to quit smoking!
25 Feb
Try a medication called Chantix, it takes away your desire to smoke. My partner and I both quit with it. You can smoke up to the 7th day of taking it and on day 8 you no longer can smoke. It was so easy! I'm a ex 30 year smoker!
07 Apr
Is dying young or not being able to breath worth it. Think about all the money will save ? Great things to think about while quitting
33 Posts
Oct 24, 2014 6:43am
via Android

E- cigs especially the flavored ones.
A can of oxygen which surprisingly helps. And just holding an inscent between the fingers, donno why, that one just kinda took the edge off.

24 Oct
Might try the insence idea I always use it around the house... Also don't the e ciggs have nicotine in them?
25 Oct
There's some that don't
29 Posts
Oct 24, 2014 9:41am
via iOS
When I quit, seven years ago now, I posted signs everywhere. On the fridge raider, on my front door, on the dash of my car,and at work.
1. Smoke it, you'll have to start over. 
2. 3 days, keep it up!
3. N.O.P.E. (Not one puff ever)
You get the idea. 
   Sarah's idea in it's basic form, is to find something else to do with your hands. That gets you pass the physical and emotional dependence.then you're just left with a more minor habit which should be easier to stop.
   Your on a worthwhile endeavor, good luck.
24 Oct
Deffo N.O.P.E ^^^^^
24 Oct
Might give that a try just simple reminders every where
25 Oct
Yes, replace often to keep motivated and pertinent to where you are in your quit.
25 Oct
My house and do you think it would be a good effect if I used an hourly reminder only phone... I was thinking of doing that but then I thought it MI make me want to more
73 Posts
Oct 24, 2014 11:20am
via Android

Hi recent quitter here. Been nictoine free for 5 weeks although had a relapse 2 weeks in. Cold turkey all the way and i would advise to avoid e cigs as there still give you that hand to mouth action which you need to avoid and also still have nicotine in. I have quit several times in the past and think with every attempt it becomes slightly easier.

Things that have helped me firstly was drinking loads of water and constantly having chewing gum.

On my last quit i joined a no smoking forum which i posted on all through the day as there are many people going through exactly what you are at the same time. Everyones really nice and supportive and can give tons of tips.

Reading up on addiction and what smoking actually does to your body, not just now but in the future.
Educating yourself always helps.

Another BIG decision i made is to completlely avoid triggers until your much stronger. Eg... drinking alcohol, tea/coffee, pubs or environments where smoking was part of it. (Some can still manage to do this but for me its a battle i dont want to go through yet)

Go to bed early
Brisk walks/excercise
Brushing your teeth, eating an apple (to get through them immediate cravings)

Cry when you need to i was and have been so emotional. Its a journey and its your journey and everyday that your nicotine free is a massive accomplishment and will do your confidence the world of good.

There are many websites i would recommend to have a lool over
Nosmokingday.org.uk (the forum i joined)

Sorry this was such a long post its just that i totally sympathise and understand what your going through.
Trust me if i did it you can too!!! I have been smoking since 13, now 31 on 15-20 roll ups per day.
Excercise and joining the gym is now my replacement and i have never felt better. I wish you luck and im sure your stronger than you think!!!! X

24 Oct
Sediment... Thanx... I thought the e ciggs had nicotine and I don't want to quit with the same thing im trying to get out of my system... I've been having shakes in my hand ever since u started to quit... Is that normal for someone who is quitting
24 Oct
Yeah the shakes are part of the norm. I never got any of that but im sure things like cold sweats, shakes etc are all part of the physical withdrawal from a drug. Trying different ways to relax may help, i know its easier said then done. And yes e cigs do have nicotine, the drug which has the hold over you. Also of you want to stop smoking why would you start smoking a pretend cig? Defeats the object, although i totally get people using them to cut down or as an alternative as it doesn't have the other...
24 Oct
Exactly I started at twelve and I'm done with the crap however my body keeps saying otherwise... It's tough but with the support I have its a little easier to cope
1 Post
Oct 25, 2014 1:24am
via Android

The e-cigs all don't have nicotine in them. You can get the liquids without it. If you can quit cold turkey do it. I'm going on 5 days without a cigarette and I'm doing good. I however do use the e-cig (vaper) in the mornings. lots of juices and water also.

25 Oct
Well done!!!
24 Posts
Oct 25, 2014 1:37am
via Android

Yeah I want to keep going cold turkey...   I don't want to have to wean myself off an e cigg after I kick the real ciggs

27 Posts
Feb 8, 2015 2:10am
via Android

Good luck!  Stay motivated

3 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 12:56am
via iOS
It's one of the hardest things to do. Even a few days can be an accomplishment. Don't give in to the bad habit. Stay strong and go long! Replace the bad with the good!
950 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 4:01am
via Android

I read 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking' and stopped completely and have been smoke free for a few years now

16 Jul
Reading it right now. Hopefully it works. Great read so far.
334 Posts
Apr 7, 2015 6:19am
via Android

Honestly? I used to smoke for years and tried to give up for years.

I could go through the long list of periods in which I succeeded only to fail again and the countless of different ways I tried but it won't help you.

We are all different so what may work for one person may not for another.
One thing is for sure...none worked for me.

In the end? I can't even tell you what really happened apart for a change in attitude and the way I looked at it.

I stopped seeing it as me sacrificing something I enjoyed. Thinking about it, I now understand that I may subconsciously have listed all the things I loved about smoking (zero) and how that little stick ruled my life.

Down to what I ate. What I tasted. How quickly I needed to leave the table to light up. How my mood changed.

I just stopped. I didn't even think of it as stopping. When you make a big deal out of something you're expecting it to be an impossible challenge. You psychologically make it harder on yourself and make room for failure. It gives you that safety net of 'trying is good but it does not mean I can't fail and try again' mentality. More you talk about it the more you believe it.

Stupid calendars that tell you 'great...you survived day 3' do not help with the illusion.

You need to change your mindset before you succeed. My only valuable tip.

I really wish you the best and hope something (however small) in my long essay can help.

1 Post
Jul 14, 2016 8:52pm
via Android

I've quit twice and I'm quitting again right now.  (I did actually quit before.  5+ years each time).

Anyway,  the way I do it is with "the patch" (sorry,  it is nicotine,  but I want my husband and kids to survive this),  tea/coffee and jolly ranchers.

Works for me!
Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51