Exercising with spinal osteoporosis & scoliosis

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Nov 8, 2014 2:03pm
via Android

I am under strict orders from my Dr & Physio to drop weight quickly. The reason being that I am in my early 40's and have been diagnosed with osteoporosis in the spine for almost 4 years. On average I have between 6 & 12 vertebral fractures a year. The theory is that if I lose the majority of my excess weight the frequency of spinal fractures will reduce. I have been given very specific limitations relating to exercise by my Physio, which furthers my perplexity at how I am supposed to achieve the required weight loss. My limitations are no jogging, running, jumping or any type of exercise that can jolt the spine. At this point I would like to reveal that in the last month I have lost 15kg's purely by walking between 7 & 10 km's daily. I am wanting to continue the weight loss (as I still have a min of 40 kg's to lose) but also tone and strengthen my core & leg muscles in particular & perhaps my arm muscles. I am unable to lay on my back to execute any type of crunches or sit ups, due to chronic pain. Any suggestions on what exercises that would be best to do, along with my daily walk, to reach my goals without any further spinal injuries would be greatly appreciated.

08 Nov
Is it ok for you to swim?
08 Nov
Get the exercises from your Physio or MD as they know the specifics of your case. Discuss with them that after a month or two off mastering the exercises you will be back for more advanced and progressive exercises.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Nov 8, 2014 9:50pm
via Android

Adam C yes it is ok for me to swim but unfortunately there is no public pool in the town I live in (I moved to small country town approx 6 months ago). Before I was diagnosed I used to swim between 3 & 7 days a week for 2 hours.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51