Working out while being Sick

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 9, 2015 7:32pm
via Android

Ive been looking up on the internet to see if working out helps shorten the flu and I found out that its ok to work out depending on the severity of the cold.
I didnt get a whole lot from it, whats your opinion on the matter? Does working out shorten the flu?

09 Jan
Im going to try an experiment. Ive noticed the signs of sickness after I jogged my dog a half a mile (coughing and short of breath) I thought it was normal, then yesterday I walked my dogs and rode my bike approximately 8.24 miles ( stuffy nose, head congestion). Today, the works ( runny nose, congested, groggy) but thankfully no coughing. I am taking dayquil and Nyquil, oranges, chicken noodle soup, grapefruit, and exercise. Im going to see if I can knock this thing out of the ball park by Saturday.
09 Jan
As long as your past the worst part of the sickness it is good to keep up with your workouts. However, do light/casual workouts. Going too hard tires your body out even more & can take longer for your body to recouperate
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 10, 2015 11:54pm
via Android

Yea that was a bit too optimistic,  still sick now caughing came back. Jogging might not be such a good idea.

11 Jan
Cardio is definitely not a good idea when being sick - this can do severe damage and eventually end up in pneumonia or inflammation of the mycardium!! Take it easy for the next days. Wish you all the best!
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jan 11, 2015 12:22am
via Android

Twice in that last month I've fought off sickness and I do believe it's because I stayed focused in the gym. Once before I pulled the plug on my workouts because of a bad cold setting and I was twice as long out and really got sick. Hard to get back in after a week and a half out. Better to stay in it. Wear your gloves and clean the equipment well after use to keep from spreading but stay your program. Sauna helps too. Sweat it out.

11 Jan
And sauna is also counterproductive as is stresses very much your metabolism, which is desperately fighting the illness. Do sauna for preventing not curing an illness!
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jan 11, 2015 11:04am
via Android

Maybe it does stress the metabolism but ive only known sweating as a healing process. Detoxifying. Relaxing. Calming. I dont recommend going into a 200 degree sauna if you already dont feel good but 170 for 5 minutes than a break before going back in if needed shouldnt cause more harm.

11 Jan
We've different opinions here: your buddy is struggling really hard with the sickness and does definitely not need additional stress - not through the heat itself but the change between warm and cold. Detoxication through sweating is nonsense: all you lose is water (which the body needs esp. when ill) and minerals. Sweating (when being sick) itself is not the healing process, it's just that your body is fighting the virus, burns energy while doing and therefore you sweat. You should keep your body warm when sick as heat supports the inner processes of healing - but you should definitely...
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 11, 2015 9:05pm
via Android

Oh wow I've been doing it all wrong lol so no hot bathing and no strenuous cardio. What about sit ups or walking a couple of miles? Just to keep the nose from clogging.

11 Jan
Nothing bad about getting your body moving a little, also with some exercises. Especially a little walk in winter sun will do pretty well. Best!
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jan 11, 2015 9:31pm
via Android

Okay. I can tell you only listen to the voices in your head so I'll do me and you do whatever it is that you do. Peace.

Tmp_avatar_mfp_1_thumb
12 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 12:54am
via Android

Thank you!!!

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 1:03am
via iOS
I'll weigh in with my opinion.... Listen to your body, regardless of whether you are sick or not. We each have different tolerance levels and I for one am perfectly fine working out when sick but modify it. For example I won't do HIIT if I'm struggling for breath, but I'll still lift weights. If I'm really sick I'll get rest. 

There are all kinda levels of exercise, you've just gotta work to what you're capable of, and if that means just eating noodle soup well hey! Eat noodle soup 
12 Jan
I can tolerate alot, just wondering if working out shortens the flu rather to not working out. Thanks for your advise guys its really helpful. Im just going to do moderate cardio ( sit ups, crunches, squats, and cycling) record the length of the flu. I will take all of your advise to account for sure. Thanks guys :-)
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 2:32pm
via Android

The experiment was a huge success, in just 5 days of exercise and cold meds with chicken soup, a warm shower and oranges. I also took selenium for a boost of immunity and im cured.
So working out does shorten the flu.
Most uncomplicated colds last between eight and nine days, but about 25 percent last two weeks, and five to 10 percent last three weeks. Even the most stubborn colds will typically resolve in a few weeks' time; this is actually one of the ways you can distinguish a cold from allergies. A cold will last, at most, a few weeks, but allergy symptoms can last all season.
hope this helps for those who are sick.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51