Workouts for fibromyalgia

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 11:45am
via iOS
Anyone else have fibromyalgia? I'm in constant pain and exercise is difficult. It sometimes causes a flare-up of pain (3-4 days of greatly increased pain and fatigue - kinda feels like a really bad flu). It's supposed to help ease pain, but takes 2-3 months to see any benefit. My society's standards, I've got about 200lbs to lose. Unfortunately, I also have PCOS, which makes it extremely difficult to lose weight. Right now, I'm more concerned with just getting healthier and more fit. Weight isn't a very good measure of health anyway. If I end up losing weight, great. If not, oh well.

What programs and/or exercises are good for someone who's obese (I.e. Has trouble with certain exercises or moves) who also has chronic pain and fatigue? Most of the programs seem way beyond my level, even the beginner ones. My stamina is abyssimal and I have asthma, which is worsened by exercise, so I can't do much for long at this point. I know it can improve, however.
12 Mar
Lissa, it is all right to do the parts of the routine as best as you can. You can modify or substitute movements as you go along. There are certain exercises I am not supposed to do. I do either a modified version of it while it plays, or something similar. I don't have fibromyalgia, but if your doctors say movement might help you, then do what you can. I often have to take a certain med that usually leads to extreme weight gain, but didn't gain weight because I kept moving through the pain and nausea. Wishing you the...
12 Mar
I too have a lot to lose! What i do is walk on the treadmill that has a softer belt not like the normal ones... what u have to realize the more you move the more you get used to and can add .. i take joy in knowing that under this fat i am already stronger than some bc i have had to carry it around for so long... start with 5 mins on treadmill set small goals then build
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 3:46pm

What kind of treadmill do you find more cushioning in? What brand?

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jun 1, 2016 3:20pm
via iOS
I have both PCOS and Fibromyalgia as well.
Going to physical therapy has helped.

I am at the point where I work out and deal with pain later. Eating healthier has seemed to stop my flare ups and made working out easier. 

I walk 1.8 miles to work and that has helped as well.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51