Any spoonies out there?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 4:02pm
via Android

Hello, I've been on my fitness journey for over a year I had a regular gym membership ship till a neck injury brought some health issues to light and now I am working out from home and in the process of finding out what is causing my chronic pain and fatigue. Lots of doctors appointments and stuff, I'm also in school and working. I feel like every workout on here I have to modify just a little (I'm prone to dislocations). I've read a few chronic pain sufferers on here, I guess I'm just looking for any suggestions or advice someone might have, I had to take two weeks off from working out entirely so I feel life I'm having to start over time and time again. But this time I'm really hoping to stick with it. Thanks for reading my rants.

26 Dec
I hate when that happens. It's like 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards. I finally have started realizing that I need to limit myself even on weeks I feel really well. I have to stick to limits even when I feel like I can do way more. And I think, slowly, the good stretches are getting a bit longer
Icon_missing_thumb
22 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 4:12pm
via Android

What is a 'spoonie'? Your title doesnt make clear what this is about? You are talking about chronic fatigue?

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 4:15pm
via Android

A spoonie is  a term used by the chronic pain and illness community referring to the levels of energy that they may have from day to day.  If you are a dealing with chronic pain,  fibromyalgia,  eds, pots,  crohns,  you might be referred to as a spoonie. 

02 Apr
Haha thanks!! I thought spoonie was a sexual innuendo
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 4:17pm
via Android

And I have chronic pain and fatigue.  That's all my doctors are willing to tell me as of right now.  I am going to a rheumatologist to discuss my dislocations and pain and inflammation. 

06 Aug
Sounds like Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. That's what I'm being checked for since it runs in my family.
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 5, 2015 1:06am
via Android

Yup, fellow spoonie here. Crohn's Disease, Hypothyroidism and Adrenal Insufficiency... All equal no energy.

05 Aug
How are you finding energy to workout? I try on days when I am I have energy but I feel like one workout I'm spending two weeks recovering.
05 Aug
Sadly accurate, it does feel like it takes a couple of weeks to get over. At te moment I am limited to swimming once a fortnight. Work your way up to more. Go slow or you'll make things worse.
Image_thumb
1 Post
Aug 5, 2015 5:38pm
via Android

Im in the same boat as you. I suffer from chronic pain too from muscle spasms. Been to pretty much every kind if dr and tried drugs like celebrex, magnesium etc. I found muscle creams work the best as well as stretching alot. I also have a problem finding the energy to work out, but doing it first thing in the morning after a shower( I know but trust me) helps. It wakes you up and warms up your muscles. Make sure you drink alot of water too.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Aug 6, 2015 6:23pm
via Android

Well, I'll keep my long story to myself, but I also have to modify almost all of the workouts. For a long time I stuck to yoga, but the sicker I get the harder it is to motivate myself to get out of bed. I have my third surgery within two years in a couple weeks, and so I figure I'll do what I can NOW to get a head start on recovery.
It's hard, especially since it's harder for an already "injured" body to heal as fast as a healthy one. . .
Although I was previously unable to do ANY exercises that required lying on my stomach, I can do do a few of them per workout, so I always check the list of exercises before jumping in. If there are four or more, I'm pretty much out for the count, so I will modify them or skip them shamelessly.

I'm proud to hear you're still going! It's hard, but it is worth it!

14 Jul
I'm a spoonie! I have MS. I've had it for about 10 years. Working out sucks! But I'm having a new (to the US) treatment in September and want to be as fit as I can be for my recovery. But for now, working out still sucks! :)
Image_thumb
54 Posts
Dec 26, 2015 2:30am
via Android

I have CFS. I'm 44. I developed it in high school due to a cellular virus that had me sick for about 9 months. The last 10 years I get myalgia with both my CFS and migraines. I have been migraines and bad headaches since I was about 3 yrs old. It makes it  other essential  and difficult to exercise.  I never know for sure my tollerance and exertion levels.

Eating high protein helps both my headaches and the low blood sugar. With helps the CFS I guess, because when anything else is flared up the CFS joins in.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51