Heiko's Health Blog

29 posts | Original | Recent
211 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 12:31am

In this blog and will add interesting news then and when. Anything about health, physical and mental. All the things I'm posting are based on studies or experiments.

You're welcome to answer and discuss. If you do, please post a comment and not a reply. So we can keep the blog clean and easier to follow.

If you have special questions about something you want me to post, send a pm. I am not able to answer everything of course, but will keep my eyes open and post as soon as I get news.

If you want to add interesting news, also please pm me first. Thanks:)

Here are more interesting topics you should read:

211 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 1:41am

Water, water and more water?

Our body needs water. In about 50-80% of our body weight is just water (ok, for some it might be just air.. sorry, don't want to offend anyone). For babies it's in about 80%, we lose water the older we get.

But how much do we have to drink now? 1, 2,3 or even 5 litres?

Adults should have in about 30ml/kg body weight (30ml/2lbs). Girls who are breastfedding and teenagers should have in about 40-45ml.

It doesn't only have to be water - tea without sugar, also fruits and vegetables count. Coffee counts too, if you are used to it.
Alcohol, lemonades, most buyable juices and energy drinks don't count!

If it's hot, we work, puke or have diarrhea, do workouts, are in bed without sleeping;-)... whenever we sweat, we need more of course. We can lose between 0.5 and 1.5 litres/hour. If we just lose 2% water (in compare to our bodyweight), we get weaker! Do you wonder, why you aren't as strong as yesterday? This could be the answer!

We have to drink the water during the day. It's not able to drink for stock. We just would lose it the natural way;-) But it makes sense to drink up to 0.5l before a workout and to sip some water every 15-30min (in about 0.1l)

It's also good to drink a glass of water straight after getting up. A glass of water 20min beofre a meal helps to feel full and not to eat too much - for those who want to lose weight.

Always drink before you are thirsty! If you feel really thirsty, your body is already screaming for water. We don't have the best sensors for drinking or we have unlearned to listen to them.

Cheers! I do it now - drinking a big glass of water:)

16 Apr
I'd like to add water also helps protein syntehsis. helps shed excess water weight, I know sounds backwards but is true. Water will also aid in metabolizing fat and efficiently digesting meals. Hope to see some other great topics heiko
16 Apr
You're so right Jovon and there would be much more to tell about water. But didn't want it to be too long. Will give my best and add more:)
24 Jun
Very interesting, more than I new already :-)
13 Oct
Love the posts on here. One thing I would add is that when drinking water before a meal for digestion it should be tap/room temperature at least. Ice water plays havoc with your digestive system.
04 Feb
Very good post Heiko, thx!
211 Posts
Apr 18, 2015 1:19pm

10,000 steps a day - just a big marketing gag?

Maybe you have heard, you should walk least 10k steps a day. Docs are saying, health care organizations, health insurance funds, fitness trainer. Does it come from the WHO (World Health Organization)?
I've spend much time of investigation and finally found the answer (ty google, took me really 30secs lol).

A japanese company published this in the 70s!!! They developed a step counter and of course wanted to sell it. Funny isn't it?

Does it mean, all is just a lie? No! Indeed it's good to do 10,000 steps every day. Also 7 or 8,000 steps every day have a great benefit.

Positive for:

• Heart
  • blood pressure
  • diabetics
  • canser
  • depression
  • alzheimer
  • bones
  • joints
  • organs and guts
  • you burn calories

If you do other workouts, no matter of body building, cardio in general, yoga, pilates... you don't have to do 10k a day to get positive benefit. Every kind of workout counts. But why not make it a game, a challenge?
At the moment, I'm trying to do 10k a day for one month - and I can tell you, it's not always easy. 10k are in about 6-7km (4-5 miles). Do it for fun, move and enjoy:)

- use stairway instead of lift
- get up every hour and walk for 5min ("sitting is the new smoking" - something I also will write about)
- don't park your car as near as possible
- don't use the car for everything - walk if it's not to far

Just when you're eating, you should focus on your meal and sit down.

What do you do now after reading is? Move your ass, don't sit, nod, say "sounds good" and eat your sweets. Get up, jump, walk, run and smile. Your body will say thank you:)

18 Apr
Good that you're gonna take up the subject of sitting! The new research is very interesting.
18 Apr
Yes, more and more proves are found, that sitting is as bad as smoking.Will write about it:)
19 Dec
So I do it always I'm good hahah
211 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 8:00pm
Sitting - the new smoking?!
Are you relaxed and sitting now? Maybe you should get up before reading this;-)  
"Smoking certainly is a major cardiovascular risk factor and sitting can be equivalent in many cases," explained Dr. David Coven, cardiologist with St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York.   What are the risks of sitting too much? Answers from James A. Levine, M.D., Ph.D.

Researchers have linked sitting for long periods of time with a number of health concerns, including obesity and metabolic syndrome — a cluster of conditions that includes increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels.

Too much sitting also seems to increase the risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer.

One recent study compared adults who spent less than two hours a day in front of the TV or other screen-based entertainment with those who logged more than four hours a day of recreational screen time. Those with greater screen time had:

• A nearly 50 percent increased risk of death from any cause
  • About a 125 percent increased risk of events associated with cardiovascular disease, such as chest pain (angina) or heart attack

The increased risk was separate from other traditional risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as smoking or high blood pressure.

Sitting in front of the TV isn't the only concern. Any extended sitting — such as behind a desk at work or behind the wheel — can be harmful. What's more, spending a few hours a week at the gym or otherwise engaged in moderate or vigorous activity doesn't seem to significantly offset the risk.

Rather, the solution seems to be less sitting and more moving overall. You might start by simply standing rather than sitting whenever you have the chance.

For example:

• Stand while talking on the phone or eating lunch.
  • If you work at a desk for long periods of time, try a standing desk — or improvise with a high table or counter.

Better yet, think about ways to walk while you work:

• Walk laps with your colleagues rather than gathering in a conference room for meetings.
  • Position your work surface above a treadmill — with a computer screen and keyboard on a stand or a specialized treadmill-ready vertical desk — so that you can be in motion throughout the day.

The impact of movement — even leisurely movement — can be profound. For starters, you'll burn more calories. This might lead to weight loss and increased energy.

Even better, the muscle activity needed for standing and other movement seems to trigger important processes related to the breakdown of fats and sugars within the body. When you sit, these processes stall — and your health risks increase. When you're standing or actively moving, you kick the processes back into action.

With James A. Levine, M.D., Ph.D.

211 Posts
Apr 25, 2015 5:16pm

Open-Window-Effect: Exercise effects on systemic immunity

Article taken from http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v78/n5/full/icb200069a.html

Heavy exertion has acute and chronic influences on systemic immunity. In the resting state, the immune systems of athletes and non-athletes are more similar than disparate with the exception of NK cell activity, which tends to be elevated in athletes. Many components of the immune system exhibit adverse change after prolonged, heavy exertion. These immune changes occur in several compartments of the immune system and body (e.g. the skin, upper respiratory tract mucosal tissue, lung, blood and muscle). Although still open to interpretation, most exercise immunologists believe that during this 'open window' of impaired immunity (which may last between 3 and 72 h, depending on the immune measure) viruses and bacteria may gain a foothold, increasing the risk of subclinical and clinical infection. The infection risk may be amplified when other factors related to immune function are present, including exposure to novel pathogens during travel, lack of sleep, severe mental stress, malnutrition or weight loss.

211 Posts
Apr 25, 2015 5:54pm

A calorie is a calorie is calorie... why do I not lose fat?  part 1

Some facts about calories:

1 g protein gives 4,1 kcal
1 g carbs gives liefert 4,1 kcal oder 17,1 kJ.
1 g fat gives 9,3 kcal
1 g alcohol gives 7,1 kcal

If you look at this, you will notice that you actually have to lose 9,300 kcal to lose one kg fat. In fact, you just have to lose in about 7,000 kcal, because body fat also includes water. This means, if you just eat less, let's say 250kcal a day, you need 28 days to lose 1 kg of fat.
IF your body burns this fat - to do this, you need muscles. Only muscles can burn fat! The good thing is, muscles always burn fat - no matter if you're active or sleeping. Your body will be a fat-burning-machine, if you train it (use it or lose it). The bad thing, your body won't burn fat (just a little bit) if you're not active and building muscles.

To understand this, we have to go back to our ancestors - those who just started to go on our feet only (the reason was, they didn't want to touch dinosaur poo anymore..). They didn't have enough to eat, especially in the cold days. They needed fat and also a reservoir of fat, because they had muscles. They have been walking 40-50km (25-30 miles) every day, they had to use their hands and arms (no machines did their job) and they couldn't go to to McDonalds. Also they couldn't call the pizza service - the telephone wasn't developed yet.
Fat is protecting our organs, helps our blood flooding, has positive effects for our immune system, are important to regenerate our cells and we need it to build hormons. And in those bad times, when food was scarce, they literally lived from this fat. But first the body burned protein - muscles. Why? Because muscles love to burn fat (if there is enough oxygene.. about this I will talk later) and this fat was needed to survive. Our body was (and is) smart. It protects the fat and first burns everything which is not vital.

If you want to lose weight and just eat less, your body doesn't know the reason! Our body still is living in Stone Age, not knowing we get more than enugh fat (and carbs, protein...). If he now notices, "energy level low" he will protect the little ring around our belly. And burn - correct, muscles!

What does it mean?
Rule 1: Don’t avoid fat – burn it!
Be active. Walk, run, lift weights, do workouts. Challenge your body, get your muscles working (and growing). In simple words: Use this app;-)
After a while, your muscles will grow – but they don’t grow WHILE you’re active. In fact, they are damaged. Your muscles get little fractures (and if it’s hard, you feel muscle soreness later). AFTER the workout, your body starts to repair your muscles. And because it’s smart, it even repairs it better/stronger than it was before (“super-compensation”). To do it, energy is needed. Food. Protein, carbs, water, minerals, micro-elements, vitamins. In the end, you have more muscles than before – you burn more fat.

Think about this and you will notice something: You spend energy while you’re doing your workouts, that’s true. But even if you burn 500, 800 or 100 kcals – it’s just a little in compare you burn all day after a workout and the days after. If you do really hard workouts, you increase your daily energy burn up to 20% for the next 12-48 hours (“afterburner”).

Though, when you start working out, you only believe your muscles are growing. Why? Because in the beginning, you “only” improve the interaction between your (existing) muscles, your nerves and brain. Remember when you learned to ride a bike. The first time, you fell down. The 2nd time too. Then you stayed… little longer…longer… until you were able to ride it. Did you get muscles? No. You just got a better coordination. The same happens, when you start exercising. Never forget, your body is smart! Practice and repeating are the secrets to success. Your body wants to save energy – before it burns more, it improves the coordination. (You also get new connections in your brain, but that’s another story). Only if you continue, this better coordination is not enough and your body starts to build/strengthens muscles.

The bad side, which we all have experienced too: If you stop training, after a while your body will say: I don’t need these muscles anymore. They cost too much (energy) – remove it again (use it or lose it). Unfortunately this happens faster than building muscles. After two to three weeks of being lazy (or ill), your body dismantles muscle mass!

Rule 2: You can’t decide WHERE to burn fat
Our little fat pads are determined by our gens. Usually men get them around the belly, women on their butt and thighs. If we men now start to focus on abs, this doesn’t mean we lose this fat first. Our body decides which fat it takes. Pity, but don’t blame me for this. I can’t change it;-)
Also most of us have more than enough sugar and fat circling in the blood. Of course, this will be burned first. Before our body takes it from the warehouse, it takes which is running in the streets!

Heiko, you’re talking about fat and suddenly you mention sugar/carbs? Yes. Remember, fat only is burned with oxygen. But when we are out of breathe, we need energy too – even more. Sugar can be burned always, with or without oxygen (and protein too).
Our body is much better than any other engine. A car needs gas or petrol or diesel. Our body is able (and always does) burn everything simultaneously. It’s perfect!
The more oxygen we have, the more we burn fat. The less oxygen we have, the more we burn sugar and protein.
Because of this, there are many misunderstandings especially about running and all kinds of endurance sports. Should we do the training in the so-called fat burning pulse? No. If your car goes slow, it needs less fuel. If it goes fast, it needs more fuels. Same with your body. If you run slow, the percentage of fat is higher than the percentage of sugar. But if we run fast, in total we need more energy – which means, even if the percentage of fat is lower, we burn more energy. To lose body fat and weight, it’s important to burn more than we take.

To be continued...

02 May
When are you continuing "a calorie is a calorie" very interesting stuff!! You're a very insightful guy. Good stuff
02 May
Very interesting!
03 May
I will continue asap William. Just had a very busy week at work and was focussin on my own plan for a half-marathon. Thanks for your nice words:)
04 Feb
This is do well put, so important and so true - can we please have it as starting post in the forum forever?!
04 Feb
Oh, one remark: it's not true that only muscles can burn fat. Actually the highest energy consumer in our body is our brain - but we can train it but sadly barely influence its consumption :-)
138 Posts
May 2, 2015 2:14pm
via Android

211 Posts
May 3, 2015 10:56am

Updated A calorie is a calorie...

You know, I'm not native english. If you find some big mistakes or something which could be explained better, please tell me. I'm thankful for any help and ideas:)

18 Jun
you are very good in english.I am not native but i can understand yours easily.:-)
211 Posts
May 24, 2015 1:39am

Do you wash raw chicken before cooking it? This is a common food handling practice, but it actually increases the risk of bacterial contamination. Drexel University food safety researchers created the "Don't Wash Your Chicken" campaign to inform people about this mishandling.

Splashing water from washing chicken under a tap can spread the bacteria on your hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment.

Water droplets canget further than 50cm in every direction and only a few campylobacter cells are needed to cause food poisoning.

211 Posts
May 24, 2015 8:55pm

A calorie is a calorie is calorie... infos about protein

Now you know some basics about muscles and burning fat. Let’s go back to calories. Many of us use to say “eat less carbs, less bad fat and more protein”. Why? Is it really important, what kind of calories we eat? Isn’t it only important how much we eat? Yes and no. If we eat too much, it’s no matter what kind of calories we eat – we will gain weight.

But we’re not just talking about gaining or losing weight. It’s also good for our body and health to eat the right stuff. If you want to lose weight (or maybe keep your weight but lose that ring around your abs) you have to reduce fat and carbs. Fat that isn’t burnt is stored (remember the good old days I’ve mentioned before). Carbs that don’t get burnt will be changed to fat – and stored too. Only protein can’t be stored!  
Protein is needed for a lot of metabolism scenes in our body. It’s among the basic building blocks of all cells and has a variety of tasks: It’s included as supporting and scaffolding proteins in the form of keratin in skin, hair and nails. As a so-called structural proteins are responsible for muscle building as actin and myosin.

Proteins also have an important transport function and carry for example the red blood pigment hemoglobin. They are also involved in the metabolism and build toxins from the body, promote processes such as fat loss and hormone metabolism.

By the way, when you hunger, the proteins are as a reserve substance for required energy. But this is protein is taken first from our blood and liver – muscles protein is taken at the very end!
When we eat protein, our body uses it. But not completely. 18-25%! Of this energy will be lost because of thermogenesis! To speak simple: If you only would eat protein, exactly the calories your body burns, with time passing by you would starve. Ok, nobody will do this and could do this. Your kidney would break down too. It’s more a funny knowledge. NEVER try this!!!

Thermogenesis also happens with fat and carbs, but not as high (fat 2-4%, carbs 4-7%). When you increase protein, in total you can eat more than you can eat using more fat or sugar. It’s important, cause you can eat and don’t feel hungry all day.

How much protein is good? To be honest, the experts still are arguing about. Some say, 0.8g/kg bodyweight is enough. If you do sports, add 10%. Means, if you weight 75kg (150lbs) 65-70g protein a day. But more and more say, 1.5 – 2g is better and for a short time even 3-5g is ok. The more you eat, the more water you have to drink, to support your kidneys (they drop out the waste products of your metabolism).

Summary: No matter if you want to lose weight, gain muscles or just eat healthy: Increase your daily protein intake!

24 May
Great information, Heiko.
24 May
Thanks Anita
04 Feb
Another great post!
211 Posts
May 24, 2015 9:47pm

A calorie is a calorie is calorie... infos about protein 2

Biological value
Maybe you have heard about it. It says, how much body's own protein can be made from protein which is eaten. The more protein can be made, the better the biological value.

Eggs have 100 - which means, from 100g protein of eggs, our body can make 100g body's own protein. There are many lists in internet to get infos for every food.
It's interesting to know, you can combine several foods to get a higher value higher than one food alone.

Some examples:
Eggs + potatoes: 137
Eggs + milk: 122
Beans + corn: 99

Is protein bad for your kidneys?
Though some still claim this, there is NO prove! No existing study could show a connection between high protein intake and kidney damages.

Acidosis because of protein?
Yes, this can happen. But only if you just eat animal protein. If you combine it with vegetables, there is no danger.

Too much bad cholesterin because of eggs?
Forget it. It's an old (though unfortunately still existing) fairy tale. Yes, they have a lot of cholesterin. But they also have a lot of ingredients, which are good for your cholesterin (decrease it). 90% of the cholesterin is made from your body. If you eat more, the body produces less. Eggs also have vitamin b12 and betain, which reduces the level of homocystein - which is actual the bad actor instead of cholesterin.

821 Posts
May 25, 2015 4:17am
via Android

138 Posts
Jul 9, 2015 2:41pm
via Android

334 Posts
Jul 17, 2015 9:04pm
via Android

334 Posts
Jul 19, 2015 5:16am
via Android

821 Posts
Jul 24, 2015 3:28am
via Android

334 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 12:34pm
via Android

334 Posts
Sep 2, 2015 5:38pm
via Android

9 Posts
Oct 13, 2015 5:26am
via iOS
I love that you point out where the mythical 10k steps comes from, leave it to the Japanese to come up with specific numbers.  Like you said, no data for a 10,000 step cut off for health, but we humans sure do like our round numbers for goals! 
135 Posts
Dec 10, 2015 7:54am
via Android

Oooo look what I just found.  Love roaming the chat rooms and finding treasures like this!

269 Posts
Dec 24, 2015 5:23am
via iOS
135 Posts
Feb 1, 2016 5:20pm
via Android

B. To the u to the m...p

195 Posts
Feb 4, 2016 9:36am
via Android

This can't be bumped often enough - READ IT. ALL OF IT. EVERYBODY!

172 Posts
Mar 30, 2016 5:44pm
via iOS
Great jewel of the forum. BUMPED
3 Posts
Jun 1, 2016 1:40pm
via Android

02 Jun
Good one!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51