Is sleeping important?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 10:38pm
via Android

Hey i just wanted to know if it is very important to sleep much and if it is how much should i sleep?

20 Apr
Of course! It's really important!!! In my case 9-10hours :)
20 Apr
I think I slept like 12 hours yesterday lol
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 10:53pm
via Android

I shoot for at least 8 hours, lately I've been getting 9. To grow one must rest.

Image_thumb
65 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 10:54pm
via Android

Yes! If you do not sleep at least 7hrs, it will hurt you. It's shown in studies that sleep helps with metabolism, and lack of proper length of sleep leads to weight gain.

20 Apr
Well that explains some things with my 4to 6 hours i get much too less
20 Apr
Yeah, definitely start getting more sleep, you will feel good and your metabolism will stay active
20 Apr
I'll try thanks for the advice :-)
Image_thumb
138 Posts
Apr 21, 2015 1:38am
via Android

Yes. It is very important.

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 21, 2015 6:34am
via Android

Sleep is extremely important. Sleep deprivation affects your body and brain in a number of negative ways, and being completely deprived of sleep will eventually lead to death.

In general 8 hours of sleep is advised for adults, but of course everyone is different. Some people need 7 hours while others need 9. Children need a lot more sleep since their bodies and brains are developing at a much faster pace. Elderly people need less sleep since their brains are not developing that much anymore (with that said, it's completely possible to keep your brain working and developing even at a very high age, it does not start deteriorating until you stop challenging it).

Apart from the obvious like your body being in rest and so on, sleep is also important to your endocrine system and your brain's normal functions. There is for example evidence showing that sleep deprivation messes with your hormones in ways that will make it harder for you to lose fat because it throws off your metabolism. The most important aspect of sleep for the brain is that while you are sleeping, your body "flushes" out toxins from your brain.

Your sleep moves through 90 minute cycles of deep sleep, REM sleep and so on. How you feel when you wake up actually has a lot to do with when in your sleep cycle your wakened. Maybe you've experienced that you can feel well rested after just five hours of sleep and really tired after eight.

If you don't sleep enough, you build a sleep debt that you will have to even out sooner or later. This is one reason why people feel the need to sleep in on the weekends: they have a debt from not sleeping enough during the week. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around, you can't save up or reserve sleep to use it later.

An interesting study where the subjects lived under stone age-like conditions for some time showed that they went to bed earlier and slept for longer than in their normal life. All of the test subjects thought that they got enough sleep in their normal life.

Try a sleep tracker like SleepBot. It will give you an idea of how much you sleep and hopefully you'll also learn how to get more and better sleep.

Image_thumb
215 Posts
Apr 21, 2015 8:40am

We all can tell you HOW important it is, but not how LONG you have to sleep. As said before, everyone is different. How long do you sleep in general? Do you feel relaxed and full of energy when you get up, or do you still feel tired and sleepy?

Beside the hours you sleep, it's also important how deep your sleep is. Some just sleep 5-6 hours (like I do) but sleep very well, while other sleep 9 hours, but don't be in deep sleep often/long.

A tracker, like Anna suggested, is a good thing to find out. The best is, to find out by trying. If you are tired when you wake up, set the alarm 15min later or even earlier. Sounds strange, to get up earlier to be fitter? Yes, but it's true. If you wake up, while being in deep sleep, you feel tired. If you now get up a few minutes earlier, before you are in deep sleep again, you feel more relaxed.

21 Apr
Interestingly enough, WHEN you sleep also matters. People who work nightshifts and sleep during the day get a much lower quality sleep and according to several different studies, working nightshifts can eventually lead to severe health conditions. Personally I can feel a huge difference in sleeping between 11 pm and 06.30 am and 3 am and 10.30 am, even if it's the exact same amount of sleep. I also need a lot less sleep during the summer than during the winter. It can differ with up to two hours. A pointer toward if you're not sleeping enough is if you...
21 Apr
Well normally i sleep between 1 and 5:30 and i feel fit enough but thats to less so should i go to bett earlier or what?
21 Apr
If you never feel the need to sleep in it might actually be enough for you. If you do, you need to sleep more. Download a sleep tracker and experiment a bit.
21 Apr
Anna, usually it's not working at night, but changing shifts and rhythm of sleep frequently. Thos who only work at night, don't have the same Troubles as those who work rotating shift. They say, you die 7 years earlier when you're doing rotating shift. Ok, so I just will get 113;-) but I also believe, it's not just bc of sleeping. It's harder to have a good rhythm for your meals, less social contacts and all this together may weaken your immune system.
21 Apr
Oh by the way, it's also good to take a nap when you feel tired in the afternoon. A lot of studies Show positive benefits for a short nap, between 15-20 minutes.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51