Acne from working out?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
May 12, 2015 10:37am
via Android

A couple of months ago I started getting a lot more pimples. I've never had any issues with pimples before, just a couple on my chin before having my period, now both chin and cheeks are covered in pimples all the time. At first I thought it was my new face creme so I quit using it and changed back to the old one. It didn't do any change at all and now I've started getting pimples on my back which has NEVER happened before. My eating habits are roughly the same but healthier with a lot less sugar and more veggies, so I don't think that's the problem. I of course shower if I sweat during my workout, if I don't sweat I wash my face. I haven't changed my washing routine, I use the exact same products as before. That leaves only the working out in itself. Has anyone else experienced this? Could working out affect hormones somehow, for instance increasing testosterone? Hormonal changes could also explain why some people get moodier from working out (I saw a thread with a question about this). Whatever the reason is this sucks.

12 May
I experienced this when I first started working out. Many years ago bug thought it was from being a teen. Turns out when you sweat more that seems to bring them to the surface. I'm no expert but I've found that washing back/ body with like a dove soap helps. Just wash away toxins. And especially in the summer time don't sit in ur swear for too long after a workout. Get in a pool and rinse or jump in shower. Something else may be stressing you out bc I don't recall my face acne getting worse. Actually improves the...
Image_thumb
86 Posts
May 12, 2015 2:19pm
via Android

always workout with a clean face! no makeup at all, its the worst you can do.

when you sweat, it brings everything to surface, so if your pores are clogged, theyre gonna become unclogged very fast, and your gonna find lots of pimples!

when working out try to have a sweat rag present( thats fresh) and makeup wipes, so you can easily wipe off sweat. then wash your face with an acne targeted face wash. Oxy face washes work wonders on my face!

Image_thumb
51 Posts
May 12, 2015 8:14pm
via Android

I think the pimples could be attributed to an increase of testosterone from working out.

Image_thumb
269 Posts
May 12, 2015 8:34pm
via iOS
My back, shoulders and chest get that way. I use a pumice soap (Lava) when i shower. It helps draw the dead skin up and sloughs it away making my breakouts less. Even just a good scrub makes a difference. I've noticed I cannot use wash cloths to wash.
Image_thumb
382 Posts
May 13, 2015 6:53am

The problem with washing, scrubbing and so on is that I have very dry and sensitive skin. :/ Even though it's now oilier, it's still very sensitive to soap. Using regular soaps or face washes that target acne would make my face fall off, lol. 

At least now I've cleaned my yoga mat (yuck), I'm gonna change my sweat towel for a clean one more often and I'm going to begin a more regular face cleaning routine washing my face every evening. Because of my dry skin I haven't been washing my face daily since it dries it out completely. 

I also realized yesterday when I went to bed that there might be another villain of the piece: the sleeping mask in some horrible, cheap synthetic fabric that I've been using for some time now. 

Image_thumb
45 Posts
May 13, 2015 7:47am
via Android

I've heard that pimples are a sign or side effect of your body detoxifying itself.

16 May
Yeah I though it was detoxing first, but I don't think it would be detoxing for several months. It might be that I'm just not keeping my face clean enough. Like getting warm, pores open up and in goes dirt because I didn't wash my face yesterday since I didn't work out. I'm gonna try a regular washing routine now and see what happens.
Image_thumb
215 Posts
May 14, 2015 3:23pm

Did you change your nutrition too? We alwayssay eat more protein, but maybe you eat too much now? When you have more than 2g/kg bodyweight, your body can't process it anymore.

16 May
No, I'm actually still having problems with getting enough protein. I think I've only reached my daily goal twice, and I even lowered it from 30 to 25%.
16 May
Don't just look at the percentage. How much g/kg bodyweight do you eat? It shouldn't be more than 2g, 1.5 is ok too. Do you drink enough water? It's important if you eat much protein! Also helps to clean the body
16 May
I'm on 1 g/kg. I have a pitcher of water that's 0,75 liters, I empty it like three times a day, so I do think I get enough water. When I work out I usually empty a bottle of water, depending on the workout of course.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51