Disabled Workouts

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 8:47pm
via Android

Does anyone have any tips or exercise plans for someone who has a very bad back (car wreck)? I need to work my abs in a terrible way, but conventional ab exercises hurt my back really badly. Any help, tips or exercises would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 10:25pm
via iOS
Could you be specific on your injuries? From there maybe we can create something specifically for you.
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jun 29, 2015 11:06pm
via Android

I blew out 2 discs completely in my lower back and have 8 herniated discs ranging from bottom of my neck all the way to lower back. It's been just over 3 years so I've done some PT and gotten stronger but I'm to a point where I can't think of anything else to do. I walk around 3 miles per day; sometimes up to 5, and at least an hour (broken up into increments) on an elliptical. I have 5lb dumbbells to work with as well. Thank you.

Image_thumb
459 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 1:01am
via Android

I hate to offer more questions than solutions,  yet also don't want to suggest something to injury you further;could you be a little more specific when you say "conventional abs exercises ". What have you tried besides crunches/sit ups? And are you able to lay on your back and rotate or lift just your legs?

Again I apologize for the bombardment of questions,  but like Viv, we really would like to help you out.

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 1:34am
via Android

More than happy to answer any and all questions. Just sit ups and crunches are all I have really tired. I can lay on my back but haven't tried any rotation based moves. Up until my wreck I never tried any other kinds of exercises that didn't have to do with weights. I had been an athlete all of my life (softball, baseball, vollyball, basketball  and track). I'm still pretty flexible and damned determined to get back into good shape.

30 Jun
Perhaps for starters try a few leg lifts and or "floor wipers" with bent knees to take off some of the back strain. Maybe try reverse crunches as well. As you rebuild your core muscles (those that protect your spine) try adding ankle weights. Most of all be patient, dearest. I'm sure you know better than most you won't be able to rush this
30 Jun
Thank you very much. I'll look into those right now. I definitely know I can't rush anything, but after 3+ years of building up stamina and extra muscle I'm ready to go! So thank you for the suggestions.
30 Jun
Let me know how those work and we can go from there
30 Jun
I will definitely check out the floor wipers and reverse crunches first thing in the morning right after my 0500 walk. I will update you in the afternoon, if that is acceptable with you.
30 Jun
That would be perfect.
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 1:35am
via Android

I also can't thank y'all enough for taking an interest in helping me; it means the world.

02 Jul
Any updates?
02 Jul
I had to get injections in my spine on Tuesday so I haven't done anything for a couple of days. Planning on getting on the elliptical in a bit as soon as my medication kicks in. Thank you for checking up with me, I really appreciate it :) I don't have anyone in my life, except 9 year old son, who even asks how I am. So this is nice for me.
03 Jul
Daaaw don't mention it. You always have us yo. :-) I had pm'd you first to check how things were. Take your time getting back into things.
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Jun 30, 2015 3:50am
via iOS
Yes, I agree. I hate to bombard you with questions but I would feel terrible if you were injured further when in reality you have all opportunity to heal your body. I want to consult someone tomorrow, and I'll post more information for you when I've got what I'm thinking clarified. In the meantime, best wishes.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51