Should I work out before or after breakfast?

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 30, 2015 11:25am
via Android

Some say it's better to do your exercise on an empty stomach, yet others tell me I should eat something before starting a workout. Can somebody please clear this up for me? :)

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Jul 30, 2015 12:12pm
via Android

having done both im finding I prefer to eat a bit before. I just feel better during and after the workout. I admit though that i do have a second breakfast when i  get to work. maybe the answer is both?

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 30, 2015 12:20pm
via Android

Alright, thank you!

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 1:01pm
via Android

Depends, are you trying to loose or gain weight?

31 Jul
I'm trying to get rid of my muffin top :/
Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 1:07pm
via Android

I'm not an expert, but if you're looking to lose weight I think it's better to do cardio on an empty stomach. 

Personally, I prefer to eat first. 

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 1:16pm
via Android

Light cardio i might add... HIIT or something brutal could make you dizzy

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 31, 2015 10:55pm

Well that's fat loss then.

If you work out on an empty stomach (assuming no midnight snacks) then you won't have anywhere to get your energy from except your body fat so you'll burn the muffin tops. The down size is you'll have little energy so it has to be light cardio for an extended period of time, and your metabolism will get back to normal fast.

Other aproach for early morning exercise is eating first, then do High Intensity excercise. You'll get your energy from the food you just ate, but if its hardcore enough you'll end up with an accelerated metabolism and burning fat the rest of the day (assuming good nutrition, no simple carbs thru the day).

It all depends on fitnes level, time and effort. If you're ok with getting REALLY exhausted (legs shaking the entire day) i would recomend eating and then doing some serious HIIT or Tabatha (skimble has plenty), otherwise light extended cardio on an empty stomach to focus on body fat burning.

Hope this helps.
Good weekend and give it your best.

01 Aug
Thanks, this really helps! :)
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Aug 1, 2015 8:45am
via Android

I'm having a practical approach here: latest research proves that it doesn't matter when you eat, it's all about the overall amount. If you eat more than you burn you're gonna gain and vice versa. Additional priority shall be kept on the macros: proteins help your body to build muscles, carbs deliver fast energy and fat makes you feel full for a long period, things like that.

Keeping this in mind, the timing of your intake is a matter of personal preference. And I'm going practical here again: when I'm starving with feeling that my depots are really empty and I'm too weak to bear the coming workouts, I like to have a small snack about 30-60 mins before starting the training. If not, I'm only eating afterwards as I need to refill my depots, I won't feel nausea during the training and my body is able to retrieve full energy for workouts instead of digestion.

01 Aug
Thank you for the advice :D
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 12:48pm
via Android

I like to do 15 minutes of cardio based exercise as soon as I wake up, I have my breakfast ( traditionally) two boiled eggs, 1 avocado and a smoothey with whey. 1 hour later, ( schedule permitting) I do an intense session ( full body workout at max weight). Those 15 minutes of cardio the moment you wake up are great at getting the body started; I wouldn't suggest going passed that, as you dont want to tire yourself, and also you'll want to have an optimal workout with food in your stomach to keep you going (after breakfast).

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 1:21pm

I try to do the same myself man. Those fifteen minutes are awesome, specially if you do some stretching aswell or warm up with the sun meditation. But for what i can see you're trying to gain weight (intense workout, whey shake), and the main focus for the girls here is to burn fat, that has to be at least 40 minutes of light cardio, nothing to get you too tired, but enough to deplete your glycogen levels and start breaking down fat for energy.

What type of workout are you doing after breakfast? how do you focus on bf reduction?

Image_thumb
26 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 1:29pm
via Android

Eat before

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 3, 2015 1:39pm
via Android

Oh yeah agreed, I just posted my meal that I eat usually out of habit. Also agreed regarding the workout, just wanted to show how I incorporate exhertion in both pre and post breakfast. For myself, my workout afterwards is strenghening 90% and 10% cardio/stretches. Bf reduction I get is from hockey in the evening. Sometimes I incorporate two big cardio sessions within my week if i feel like I'm breathing too hard in hockey.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51