Low back pain whenever abs exercise

3 posts | Original | Recent

1604731_10204475647434933_6776402940697816757_n_thumb
1 Post
Feb 7, 2016 2:18pm
via Android

I'm having this difficulty while doing crunches, sit ups. My abs didn't feel a thing whenever i pushed through crunches and sit ups, but my back hurts a lot.
I used to be active basketball and soccer player, having crunches and sit ups everyday for 200x a day. But now i cant even get through 10 cycles. I have a strong back and maybe i used to put all of my weight in my back, is that a problem? And how to fix this? I've read a lot but its just very hard to make my low back muscles to relax while doing abs workouts. Anyone care to help me pls?

07 Feb
I would do some yoga before strenious excercise, such as childs pose, downward dog. i have a bad lower back from an old horse riding accident and this seems to help me. hope this helps.
13 Feb
That pain also tends to happen to me when I am not doing the exercise correctly. Like when my lower back gets of the ground thats when it starts hurting. When I keep my lower back on the ground it doesn't hurt. & yea I think it can also be the effect of carring a very heavy back pack. I also had this problem back when I was in middle school the doctor told me to try and carry lighter weight. Also he told me to stand with my back straight against a wall for a few minutes to destress...
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Feb 7, 2016 6:10pm
via Android

There are a few core exercises that are bad (increased likelihood of injury) for the back, and they're actually most of the typical ab exercises everybody does like situps & crunches. You may have even done some damage back in the days of doing so many.

Do some more research into back friendly core exercise. I know that plank is one, but it's a good idea to read up on planking too, to make sure your actually engaging the core and not transferring the work.

Maybe try :
bicycle crunches
Russian twist
Oblique crunches
Leg raises (although those hurt my back so i do just a leg hold, like where I lay down and raise my legs up straight and hold em)
Also: standing core work, like various knee raises and stuff

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Feb 10, 2016 12:58pm
via iOS
Book by Pete egoscue "pain free" 
Cheap and it will save you

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51