Dumbbells and high blood pressure

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Feb 26, 2016 10:22pm
via Android

I read that one should not do weight lifting when having high blood pressure. So I have it and I take medicine against it. I started dumbbell Training recently and was wondering if this is then not healthy? Ich have to say the dumbbells have only 2 kg each, so is there a problem?

26 Feb
Hello. Yes this is an issue. Did you get medical clearance to lift weights from your MD?
26 Feb
No, so I should consult my doctor.
26 Feb
And thanks for your reply
26 Feb
Yes please. You would want to cause unknown strain to your heart. Your Dr should give you recommendations on what is and isn't ok.
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Feb 28, 2016 3:37am
via Android

Typically you should be ok. Unless of course your blood pressure is uncontrolled like say, higher than 180/110 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg).

But moderate exercise, which includes weightlifting is proven to help long term symptoms of high blood pressure.  However lifting heavy weights or not breathing properly while performing weightlifting exercises can cause a temporary spike in blood pressure. This is what you most likey read and why you think it's bad to lift with high blood pressure.

Consult a physician if you're blood pressure is uncontrolled.

I have to add. Through proper nutrition,  blood pressure is very controllable unless an underlying issue is at hand.

28 Feb
Thanks for your comment Jovon
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Mar 14, 2016 5:26pm
via Android

I finally consulted my doctor and he told me moderate weight lifting is fine for me. Nevertheless with regards to HIIT and that stuff he did not recommend it . So I will need to be careful with that.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51