Back Pain Be Gone! 🏋️‍♂️

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Aug 6, 2019 1:50am
via Android

Good evening, everyone!

About 3 months ago, A muscle from my lower back gave up on me and ended up collapsing on the ground on my building's parking lot as I was coming back from class to the point I had to call my brother down to help me walk to my apartment, which unfortunately is on the 2nd floor. 🙄 I became unable to walk without help for the next 3 days.

The Dr. that saw me recommended me to do an MRI scan done, but I decided to wait to do it until I was maybe 3 months deep in working out since I already knew I needed to work out my back for it to heal properly...and also because I realized I needed to take better care of my body because I was taking my body's ability to do walk and carry my daily for granted.

About a week later after my back strain, I came back to Skimble and began the Lower Back Pain Workout Program, and it helped as expected. Once I finished that, I started the 6-pack program to strengthen my core and finished it. I tried the Bottoms Up Program, but it was too intensive for me...i had to cancel it half way in and just stick with the 6-pack program. I'll try the Bottoms Up Program sometime in the future again when I can endure so much intensity better...nonetheless, now with my core strong enough to support my back, I began to workout my entire body each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am doing 4 programs at the same time each of those days so the following day my entire body is usually a bit sore 😅

I will get my MRI done soon. I finally scheduled an appointment with my provider for in 3 weeks from now. I did not want to get the scan done when my back was still in pain because I reasoned that if I did it that way, I would've gotten a worse diagnosis than if I got it done with my core finally strong enough.

Has any one on here experience lower back strain before? 🤔 If so, how did you recover? Were you already working out when it happened or not yet? 🤔

Image_thumb
1026 Posts
Aug 8, 2019 6:48pm
via Android

Why did you delay the MRI? Is it an issue of cost? Because how good or bad your diagnosis will be should not be considered.

The point of the MRI would be to see why you collapsed to the ground in pain and then, after knowing why, to develop a treatment.

If a doctor were reasonably certain it was a strained muscle, and suggested workouts as a conservative treatment, that would be fine, but it sounds like you decided on your own course of action.

It seems like you got lucky this time, but in the future, it might be best to get the MRI before deciding on treatment. You could have done permanent damage to your spine!

08 Aug
When my back gave up on me this time, I was sitting for too long the 3 days prior to that as I was focused on finishing my internship project. I guess I forgot to stand up and walk every hour or so.
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Aug 8, 2019 7:29pm
via Android

Hello Patrick

There are several reasons why I decided to delay the MRI.

The first one, yes, it was because of cost. My insurance has a high deductible and my HSA did not have enough funds to hopefully cover it. I finally have enough now, so I scheduled my first appointment with my PCP in about 2 weeks from now.

The second one is because I already have history of lower back strain from a few years ago from lifting heavy boxes at a prior job; the first time my back gave up on me, the diagnosis was a simple muscle strain. After that, maybe once a year or less that same muscle will give up on me. However, between the first time and this last time, every single time it happened it wasn't so bad as I could still walk. This time when it happened, it was just as bad as the first time and the urgent care dr. that saw me did recommend me to do the MRI done, but from my own experience from previous years, I felt it was safe to delay it as I figured that I would heal as I did on the first time.

Right now I got full range of motion with no problems and my plan still is to get that scan done once that injured muscle is stronger, which means working out that muscle as safe as possible. Maybe it won't make any difference on any new diagnosis from the scan, but I need to have that peace of mind.

Image_thumb
1026 Posts
Aug 13, 2019 1:50pm
via Android

Aha! It all makes sense!

My apologies. From the way I read your post, but honestly mostly from reading just the wide range of crazy posts I've read on the internet, a guy who treats getting an MRI like a game he needs to get a high score on didn't seem all that far-fetched.

I can totally relate to cost of healthcare being an issue. I'm in the US!

It also sounds like this back problem is an issue you're more familiar with than most doctors you'd end up consulting, so you probably already knew you'd end up paying way too much to hear the same thing you've heard before.

Have you ever undertaken such a proactive approach with exercise and rehab before? I'm impressed with the regimen you managed to stick to and get results from!

There is so much info out there, and you have the right approach so far, you could probably save a ton of money but still get better than average results by further researching and watching physical therapists videos and stuff like that. I'm exited for you to continue improving!

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Aug 13, 2019 7:50pm

Good afternoon, Patrick

That's okay. Usually my very immediate objective when my back completely gives up on me is to head to urgent care to get a muscle relaxer shot, and to stock up on pain killers as well as muscle relaxers because usually I end up needing them on the times when my back is starting to feel sore but not completely giving up on me. Like I said before, I do plan on getting that MRI now that I have enough in my HSA because I do want to make sure that my spine and injured muscle are still okay.

Each year I always to get on a workout routine going, but each time after four months or five I usually reach a mental plateau and did not know how to overcome the feeling that it had become a boring routine that makes each session like it takes too long to finish and eventually stop. I need to figure out how to overcome that mental obstacle as it is very difficult to continue when it starts to convince me to not put in as much effort... Nevertheless, I reach 30 this Saturday; I need to take better care of myself or I will be a grandpa with back pain constantly if I do not make this a permanent change in my life style lol.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,342 topics, 38,277 posts

Motivation & Support

8,528 topics, 41,550 posts

App Updates

43 topics, 104 posts

Ask the Pros

764 topics, 1,952 posts

Workouts and Programs