Disabled by chronic pain

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 9, 2013 9:27pm
via Android

PLEASE! There must be others out there that have disabilities out there. I have been disabled due to chronic pain since 1996. I've had 31 major surgeries, 7 on my back and am fused at L4-L5 and L5-S1. 8 on my left knee, last two were a total knee replacement and revision. 1 knee surgery on my right knee. I'm fused at C5-C6 and C6-C7 in my neck. Total ankle reconstruction on my left ankle. Inguinal hernia and surgery on both shoulders, torn medial meniscus and torn glenoid labrum. I have fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease and degenerative joint disease, diabetes, hypertension and nueropathy in both feet. I refuse to just lay down and give up. I had 6 of these surgeries in 18 month and never really completely healed up from one before the next one. So I was down for about two years trying to get completely healed up. Now I am trying to get in better shape and increase my mobility, strength and stamina. I am desperate for help in coming up with exercises I can do to accomplish this. I can't afford to go to physical therapy at $25 a visit. Can someone, anyone give me some advice. I moved to an upstairs apartment to use stairs and so far no problems or increased pain. PLEASE HELP!

10 Feb
My advice is to take it slow, don't over do it. I have medical problems as well so I mix up my workouts so I strengthen the muscles around the injured areas.
10 Feb
I've broken many bones in my body, leading to being confined to a wheelchair for some time. To get back to normal, I had to exercise the smaller muscles surrounding my joints before I could do normal workouts. Writing the alphabet with each foot, using a weighted pulley system and rotating bar for my wrists, etc. I still can't jump without fear of breakage and anything faster than a casual walk leaves me in great pain, so I'be been told to focus on stretching, which can also gradually sytrengthen muscles. Hope something in this helps. :-)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 10, 2013 10:16pm
via Android

Thank you so very much for the response and advice. I will takebit to heart and see what I can find to do as you suggest. If I can ever be of help to you just let me know. Again, thank you!

Image_thumb
71 Posts
Feb 11, 2013 2:55am
via iOS
Hello, sorry to hear your journey. :( well the best things for excersise for you would be tonning and general health to start: walking daily. And then start stop running. After a month or so. Only do start stop jogging every 4 th day. Go with how u improve as to when ur ready to step it up each time. Also yoga and pylaties. You can buy a pylaties home bench wich you lay on so not a lot of moving in main body. It's on springs. Very good for injury spines and health problems. Also if there is a curves gym near you I surgest you visit them. Need any more detail help for a weekly training idea just contact me:)
13 Mar
I totally agree. Walking would be great for you. I pray for a speedy recovery for you. :-)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Feb 11, 2013 3:06am
via Android

Thank you so very much for your response and sage wisdom. I can't run, but I can speed walk if you think that might work for me. I truly appreciate your advice and will keep in contact if that's ok with you. If I can be of any help to you please just ask. Again THANK YOU!

275236_1115844939_2267678_n_thumb
1 Post
Mar 13, 2013 2:27am

I deal with chronic pain as well from diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. pain in the form of muscular skelatal and nerve. Inflamation with in the body is a big cause of my pain and a cause for MS flares. One thing that has helped with my pan and may help with your fibromyalgia is to watch your food intake lessen your acidic foods and increase foods high in alkline. the acisic foods increase inflammation. 

Also as far as activities I lived in the water doing water aerobics water walking, jogging etc. But I was having difficulties getting to the pool and therefore was doing nothing. So I just purchased a resistance chair exercise & rehabilitation system. it makes it very easy for cardio and strenghtening with my ever changing mobility limitations. Here is the website www.vqactioncare.com I have the chair and the smooth glide cycle. I will be purchasing the overhead resistance atachment bar next month. I am loving this piece of equipment and I have been abe to adapt many of the workout here on skimble to work with the chair.

Good luck!! and more than anything keep your head up and stay as active as you can. 

13 Mar
Sorry to hear about your pain issues. I would not wish them on my worst enemy. I too have mobility issues and have been unable to afford to get to the Y to do pool aerobics. But this is about to change in the near future. I thank the lord for tha t. I will check out the website and try the menu changr. Thank you for the advice and information. Likewise if I can be of service to you or you just want to talk let me know. Take care of yourself and best of luck with your therapy.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51