Has anyone had shin splints?

16 posts | Original | Recent

Feb 13, 2013 8:07pm
via Android

I have these HORRIBLE pains in my shins every time I do a lot of running, jumping or anything involving my calves. It's been happening since I was young. I've been told that its just shin splints but all I really want to know it WTH do I do to relieve the pain?? Lol Seriously, it feels like ive been hit across my shins with a baseball bat! Does anyone else suffer from this? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated :-)...thanks on advance!

14 Feb
Ice, stretching, and rest. This is an injury you don't push through, you should do something that doesn't make it hurt for a while, then slowly add back in those running and jumping exercises. The right footwear is key.
15 Feb
Thanks so much everyone for all of your great advice, it has helped a lot and i think im ready to get back to business today.
Image_thumb
84 Posts
Feb 13, 2013 8:14pm
via iOS
Fill a Dixie cup 3/4 with water and freeze. Once frozen take it out and peel off a layer and rub the exposed ice on shins it helped me alot
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Feb 13, 2013 8:52pm
via Android

Hi! I think you may suffer whit "bone sack inflammation" That comes whit a insane pain, it will feels like your leg is broken. One of my track n field friends  had the same prob. You can do exsercices, but you have to be very strict whit your stretching. Try  my "Runners leg stretch" you will feel a different after some time.

Image_thumb
55 Posts
Feb 13, 2013 8:56pm
via Android

It would be worth having gait anaylysis done on your feet to see what foot type you are and if you over pronate etc and then having trainers to suit. I run alot and have to well cusioned trainers due to my over pronation. Look it up on the net for more info. Having correct footwear made a world of difference to me.

Feb 13, 2013 8:59pm
via Android

Thanks i was thinking ice would help but just dread anything cold...guess i have to suck it up huh lol

Feb 13, 2013 9:03pm
via Android

Inflamation huh? Never heard of that particular condition, but im gonna try the stretches too and see how that works...its hard to find ones that have good front calf stetches. Also i take it that if i do/eat/drink things that reduce inflammation that could maybe help also. Thanks

13 Feb
Yes i will recomend that. And for stretching your front side leg, i have this : Stand on your knees. Sit down on your heels. Make shure your toes point directly aback. Whdn you sit on your heels you can allready now feel a stretch. Then, and try now to be very precise, lift your knees of the floor,pressing whit your arms, and only your toes should be on the floor. Ask,please if you feel you have a question to this.
13 Feb
That IS a good one...and I may not have been stretching it enough beforehand because that did reduce the pain a bit and it seems like that's what I needed. Thanks a lot!
13 Feb
You welcome. And i have a excersise for the front leg as well. Stand whit your heels on a wood plank(two by four or simmilar) start make your toes pointing up to the roof. Repeat severel times (15-20) do 4 set. Or, for a more intense feeling, Take a small step front whit one foot, rest body weight on back foot. Pkace a broomstick on your toes. (Whit shoes on). Start tilt your foot up, wgit one hand resting on broomstick as only resistance. Do severale reps. And 4 set. :-) hope this help. Your great
Feb 13, 2013 9:08pm
via Android

The footwear makes a lot of sense too, may i ask what type of trainers you use? I would normally go for whatever is cutest(lol) so ive never really paid much attention to the type of cushion etc. I need to now tho because ive been working out pretty hard lately and i plan on stepping it up. Thanks

14 Feb
I use asics gel kayano really good trainers although not the cutest lol. Should defo try something like this out and knowing how your foot lands may solve any other daily aches and pains.
15 Feb
Thanks alot... Oh i think im over the cuteness now(pain will do it to ya) lol i dont care what they look like now, gotta take care of myself.
2012-10-07_14
11 Posts
Feb 14, 2013 12:22am
via Android

Try going to a running store and have a gait analyis done...but what worked for me was tap dancing...moving my feet or tapping my toes over and over stregthen my shins and now dont get shin splints...so ever once in while ill just sit and tap toes till tired then stretch

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 14, 2013 2:50am
via iOS
I used to suffer from them all the time, the answer is in all these posts plus one extra bit of advice.  Along with the stretches RICE rest ice compress elevate.  Get the right shoes and finally the pain comes from the flexion of your toes.  While running try to work on a midpoint landing.  This months runners world has a great article about chirunning which gives a ton of  on the subject.
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 14, 2013 2:52am
via iOS
Meant to say mid foot landing curse this autocorrect
Image_thumb
32 Posts
Feb 14, 2013 2:57am
via Android

I had something like that going on with me to wen i started running. Come to find out my back was way out of line. Not sure if that would affect ur shins but if u have other problem areas like ur back hips or knees that could b something to look into. And also the shoe thing is a must! It took me awhile to figure it out but the right pair of shoes will keep u on ur feet pounding out the miles!

Image_thumb
84 Posts
Feb 14, 2013 3:01am
via Android

I used to get them alot myself. From when i was young till just recently they went away. I know if your changing where you run that will impact them badly. Like going from asphalt to a treadmill. Running down hills also will not help. Mine used to be so bad and miserable, so i know your in a great deal of pain. I very rarely get them anymore. I know you can walk on your heels to strengthen your lower legs though, it might help as well. Get feeling better!

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Feb 19, 2013 9:41am
via Android

Hi! Did this adwice help you?

Image_thumb
71 Posts
Feb 24, 2013 1:25pm
via iOS
Are you doing good deep long stretches before and after work outs? This helps a lot. And also don't work out legs every day untill your legs hurt less after work outs. Also if yOu are working out intensely, you need to have a diet that helps reduce musle stiffness and encourage quicker musle repair. A diet higher in protein is good for this :)
Icon_missing_thumb
31 Posts
Feb 24, 2013 5:18pm
via iOS
I used to always get shin splints training for my marathon. Stretch A LOT and ice if you need to.
Feb 25, 2013 1:53am
via Android

Hi everyone! Thanks a bunch,all the advice combined has helped a TON. I had to lay off for a while but hopefully i will be getting back to it tomorrow...got new shoes, using ice, toned it down a bit to allow myself to heel, and now i will ease into intense workouts and be sure to stretch really good before after and even during if need be.  I think that I did too much at once...i went from 4 days @30-40min to 6 days high intensity @ 60 min...with the wrong shoes on!...AND i may not have stretched as long as I shouldve(ok i didnt). Lol Thanks you guys, when you know better you do better, right!:-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51