Fibromyalgia

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 5, 2013 7:40pm
via Android

I have Fibromyalgia and I want to workout but whenever I do I'm in pain for up to 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Mar 5, 2013 8:05pm
via iOS
I also have fibromyalgia. I'm just starting to get into a routine again. My best advice is to start slow and only workout for short periods of time in the beginning to get your body used to the different weights and pressures on your joints. I am extremely stubborn and always push myself way too hard too fast and end up in bed with the "flu" symptoms. I currently belong to a gym and find it extremely helpful to sit in the sauna after tough workouts. If you're working out at home take a hot shower or an epsom salt soak after workouts (i love epsoms- theyre are tons of studies suggesting magnesium deficiencies in people with fibromyalgia) I also make sure I'm drinking plenty of water, and eating healthy proteins after workouts, raw nuts, yogurt, avocados, whole grains. I have a personal trainer and I'm open and honest about my limitations. I push myself, but I am in control of how far because I know my body and my limits and the pain that comes with it. We live with this terrible  disease and it can really suck... Don't let it discourage you. You are so strong, you can handle pain on a level most people can't even comprehend! Stay positive and kick some ^%#!!!
06 Mar
I too have fibromyalgia & it's very hard bc u do hurt worse when u work out but I just keep pushing & stay motivated bc at least feeling good about myself will help me overcome the overwhelming feeling of the stress, pain & self esteem issues that come along w/this terrible illness but the sauna def helps after workouts even hot tub. Epsom salt hot baths are amazing too.. Good luck & Keep pushing ladies fibro hugs
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 6, 2013 2:35pm
via iOS
I too have fibromyalgia keep pushing ladies it's a long road for us but we have to fight thru it but also stick together & support one another
27 Mar
I have had fibromyalgia for over 25years. It is a mean disease that is a vicious circle. You must exercise to help control the pain, but you hurt so bad you either don't want or can't do the exercises. Meds can help, but nothing gets rid of the pain. The best exercises I have found is water aerobics in a heated pool. Streches and Yoga also can help but you have to be very careful not to overdo. I have been disabled by chronic pain since 1996. I am in pain 24/7/365, and nothing gets rid of the pain. I've...
26 Jun
I have Fibro. Did it cause the surgeries for you?
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Jul 17, 2013 2:14am
via iOS
I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 4.5 years now. My physical therapist says to start out with stretches and cardio. Start out slow and work your way up. Instead of Yoga do Tai Chi and to work with a medicine ball and use a stability ball. Also a pain management Dr can prescribe you therapy in the water which helps you work out but isn't as stressful on your body.
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 8, 2013 9:04pm
via Android

I've livedvwith fibro for 25 years. My advice is to find what your macimum is and work to 75% of that.

You can build slowly over time.

Working at a lower level (75%) you are working out but not putting to much pressure on your body.

I am only starting again after couple years of imobility, so just doing a couple of reps of 3 exercises - 1 each for upper, lower and core. I'll build on that as I get stronger.

Remember rest days are crucial. The pro's need them and so do we.

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Oct 10, 2013 1:45am
via Android

Just found this topic after posting one.

I suffer from fibro and it's a pain! (no pun intended)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51