Hunger pangs at night

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
30 Posts
Sep 16, 2013 8:36pm
via Android

I usually run in the afternoon everyday for an hour then hit the gym for some HIIT/weight training. Been upping my cardio a notch lately and I have noticed I get hunger pangs before going to sleep, even after having dinner. Am I doing something wrong? Should I take it down a notch? Help please.

17 Sep
Girl u r kicking your butt so hard.your metabolisim and your muscles r recuesting more calories.runners need alot of carhbohydrates .thiz happens 2 me aswell and u know what i eat couse i know idid a great workout .hope thiz helpz
17 Sep
Yea, I usually give in!!! I stopped counting calories, just really eating lots of greens and fruits and lean meat. I dunno if I should start counting calories again though.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Sep 16, 2013 9:24pm

Maybe youre not hydrating enough ? Dehydration can be mis-interpreted as hunger ? 

17 Sep
On average, I drink 2.5 -3 liters of H20 per day. Should I increase oral intake cause I'm doubling my cardio?
17 Sep
You take water any other way than oral haha?!
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 2:12pm

2.5 litres is about right for baseline (i.e. without all your mega workouts) - aren't you rasping thirsty during the day?  Your pee must be brown no?  Use your pee to guide your hydration if your not sure how much to drink - hydrate until your pee is less concentrated (clear or very light yellow).

If you're still hungry after doing this for a few days you aren't eating enough as well.  In which case you need more complex carbs in your meals (low glycaemic index) - google that! :)

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 2:13pm
via Android

More water and banana s

1118562_1468706750_471993534_n_thumb
1 Post
Sep 17, 2013 3:25pm
via Android

Well if you get the erge to eat before bed eat something healthy instead of junk food. But try your best to stop yourself from eating before bed because remeber cant burn carbs in your sleep :)

17 Sep
This isnt comoletely true ofc
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 5:05pm

Can always rely on Dr J 

17 Sep
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 5:07pm

I agree with everything David says, use your pee as your guideline e.g. I have about 4 litres a day bit after a heavy cardio day I up the post-water drinking. I drink lemon water as well to help with the detoxing. When I get hunger pangs I rely on almonds & raisins outside of normal meals coz I don't like to go to bed hungry 

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 11:25pm
via Android

Seems to me you are just not eating enough. If you are hungry every evening the signal is pretty clear.

17 Sep
Lets say you burn 600 to 800 with an hour of running. Everyday. You do a hitt workout which makes it 200 orso more. This could alrdy be 1k calories you burn. If you do weighttraining your body will also use energy to recover and restore energy levels in the muscle. This all requires food. A normal woman alrdy needs up to 1800 orso everyday. And you being (i assume) pretty fit, this will most likely be a lil higher than evarage. Combined with trainimg so much im not surprised you get hungry. Even when you are trying to lose...
18 Sep
Thanks for the insight Rappa D. Appreciate it!
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Sep 18, 2013 8:47am
via iOS
Sometimes I find an apple works! Because it can fill you up, a bit sweet and the act of crunching it makes your body think you're eating something solid, not junk/choc/sweets etc.
Image_thumb
265 Posts
Sep 18, 2013 5:02pm
via Android

Agreed. You most likely need to eat a bit more. To avoid eating before bed, add a fruit snack somewhere in your day or have some as dessert.

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 17, 2013 3:12am
via iOS
When I get hungry in the evening I just make  a big lettuce salad with cucumbers and maybe some tomato slices. With a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That always fills me up and doesn't send me to bed with Excess calories and starchy carbs!
Icon_missing_thumb
216 Posts
Dec 17, 2013 3:30am
via Android

Maybe you should eat more - crazy idea, I know - but it's never failed me

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51