Arm excercises without weights or push ups

7 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Oct 23, 2013 5:46pm
via Android

I've got a pretty weak upper body and I'm looking for any excercises I can do to increase my strenght. The thing is I recently moved and don't have any weights now and I completely despise push-ups. I can barely do 3 push ups in a row and nothing about them is fun to me.. any ideas welcome!

23 Oct
Triceps dips or use weight substitutes like cans of food or milk jugs.
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Oct 23, 2013 5:55pm
via Android

Try dips

24 Oct
Very important exercise if you want to get stronger!!!
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Oct 23, 2013 6:01pm
via Android

Rapid punches are good too. You know, you pretend to punch that dangly bag that the boxers punch in the air in a circular motion.

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Oct 23, 2013 7:43pm
via Android

Try elbow plank

23 Oct
I would have thought that was more for abs then strenght.. I do like the elbow blank though! Still can't hold it for very long but getting better
Image_thumb
512 Posts
Oct 23, 2013 9:13pm
via Android

Do kneeling push-ups and when they are getting to easy do normal ones.

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 24, 2013 2:38pm
via Android

You can do pushups against higher surfaces... Like leaning against a wall would be easiest (gets a lil more difficult the more you lean) and then other things, table desk chair bed railing getting lower as you progress.

Whatever surface you use, make sure you can feel it pushing your ability. You want to be able to complete a set of at LEAST 6.. times maybe five sets... but don't pick a surface where you can just keep going and do like 30 or more per set. You want to end each set feeling like you were almost at your limit.

Someone mentioned elbow plank...try full plank too. Also try starting in a pushup top position and going down as slowly as you can.

I used a similar idea when I started doing pull-ups and could only do one and now I can do multiple sets of five or six real pull-ups and that is very satisfying to me.

24 Oct
should I also put my feet on a higher surface when push ups are getting to easy for me?
25 Oct
Heck yeah dude eventually you'll be doing em upside down against a wall and that shiz is badazz
25 Oct
I can do handstand push-ups, but only about ten.
25 Oct
Changing the pivot point puts more or less weight on the arms. Raising your pushup surface lessens the weight, raising your feet surface increases it.... raising both just means you're doing pushups while high.
25 Oct
I know. I wanted to know how many push-ups I should be able to do.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 26, 2013 6:09am
via Android

Of course as you change the angle you change the muscle focus a bit, too. I think you got to do weight lifting if you want to gain more muscle weight. Inverted pushups is as heavy as you can get (without like a backpack or weight vest) and ten is a good number of reps, I don't think you'd build much more muscle doing more reps at that weight (just endurance)

26 Oct
Oops this was s'posed to be a comment reply to Jonas
26 Oct
I can't get any weights. no money :/
27 Oct
You could try to make some. Google it, there are water jug weights and other stuff...
27 Oct
I'll just take my school bag. I have no money for any weights.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51