Running stitch

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
11 Posts
Nov 12, 2013 9:06pm
via iOS
Hm, I got a stitch real quick when running this morning. Ran through it but continued to hurt like a bitch the whole time. What causes these and anyone know the best ways to get rid of them?
49229_1488296738_3001702_n_thumb
46 Posts
Nov 13, 2013 12:11am
via Android

According to WebMD,
Side cramp or ''stitch": This cramp strikes you in the side, as the name implies, or even in the lower abdominal area. It's mainly the result of shallow breathing, not breathing deeply from the lower lung, says Jeff Galloway, a 1972 Olympian. He's a veteran runner who has trained more than 200,000 runners and walkers and runs a marathon-training program. ''The side pain is a little alarm" alerting you about your breathing, Galloway says. An imbalance of blood electrolytes (such as calcium, potassium, and sodium) in your body may also contribute, says Pete McCall, an exercise physiologist and spokesman for the American Council on Exercise.

13 Nov
Try a Gatorade or Powerade before you run, and take deep control breast as you run. They should fill the abdomen as well as the chest.
13 Nov
You are absolutely right, Jerry :-)
13 Nov
Great answer jerry, thanks!
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Nov 13, 2013 7:57am
via iOS
This is awesome I'm glad it came up and was answered on forums big thanks!! As I will be doing the police test in 4 days and was worried about getting a stitch on the beep test
17 Nov
Let us know how the police fitness test goes. You are going to do well.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51