Lung capacity

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 3:28am
via Android

I'm trying to build up my lung capacity but I can't run do to knee problems.

Image_thumb
226 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 4:47am
via iOS
It is impossible to increase your lung capacity. Lung capacity is genetic, mostly correlated with your height.
07 Jan
Yes, but vO2 max can be improved, which is essentially the same thing.
07 Jan
No, not really. Lung capacity is the size of your lungs; VO2 max is how much air you take in per minute, which can be increased by deeper, more frequent breathing.
07 Jan
I recognize that, but from a functional perspective it would have a similar effect. When most people say they want to improve their lung capacity, what they really want is to improve their vO2 max. Being able to process more oxygen from the same amount of air feels like having a larger vital capacity.
Image_thumb
30 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 5:26am
via Android

Try doing interval training on a bike. You should see similar cardiovascular responses with less stress on your knee.

07 Jan
Thank you Stephen.
Image_thumb
49 Posts
Jan 7, 2014 6:18am
via iOS
I'm a trained singer and have a few lung exercises that we use to build up our lung capacity.  One is to take a deep breath in and then slowly make a hissing sound releasing the air from your mouth. You keep releasing the air until you run out. Like a tire slowly leaking air, see how long you can go. Do this at least once a day and if should help! :)
07 Jan
Thank you Meagan

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51