Resistant Training: Maximize You Goals

1 post | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 14, 2014 7:09pm
via Android

The driving force behind any exercise routine should be your individual goals. Your goals should be set prior to the start of your routine, they should be reasonably obtainable and easily monitored. The set up of a good individual exercise routine should be designed with a specific goal in mind because your number of repetitions, sets, weight load and rest time will vary depending on if your goal is to achieve greater STRENGTH , POWER, HYPERTROPHY(growth) or ENDURANCE(tone). For strength you should lift weights that are greater than 85% of your 1 RM max, perform less than 6 reps. Perform 2-6 sets with rest of 2-5 minutes between sets. Power: 80%-90% of 1 RM. 1-2 reps. 3-5 sets with 2-5 minute rest. Hypertrophy: 67% -85%. 6-12 reps. 3-5 sets. With 30 second to 1 minute rest. Endurance: less than 67% of your 1 RM max. Over 12 reps. 2-3 sets. With less than 30 seconds rest. Your 1 RM max is the maximum amount of weight you can safely lift one time without assistance and with PROPER form.

20 Jan
Great subject Brian can you explain RM in a little more detail please, such as do you go through each exercise in your program and get a benchmark weight for each?. Cheers Appreciate it.
21 Jan
Yes you should do a 1 RM for each exercise you are going to perform. This can take some time to get them all but afterwards you can just plug in the values and go. If you are looking at finding your 1 RM make sure it is the maximum amount of weight you can lift properly only once. If you get 2 reps in, stop, add weight and rest 3-5 minutes before attempting the next weight. The last time i did this routine I found my 1 RM for Squats Dead lift Bench press Hamstring curls Leg extension Seated...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51