Eating well and going to the gym 4 days a week and gained weight!

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 11:16pm
via Android

So I've been going to the gym for a month now and I'm starting to see muscle built but I've gained weight. I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I've gained 3 pounds since I started. I do a mix of aerobics for 30-45 minutes total, Abs, arms, and back but I didn't think it was possible to gain weight so quickly (I'm hoping it's muscle). Anyway, how normal is this? I've also been way more hungry since I started and I hope it won't affect my body negatively.

27 Jan
It could be that your metabolism is increasing and thats why you re getting hungry, you can try eating more times a day in smaller protions.
28 Jan
U more likely Gaines muscle not fat, thats want happens, I'm a personal trainer so I know
28 Jan
And u look fine in our pic, u don't like u need loose weight
29 Jan
Stop worrying - you look great
31 Jan
I've got the LoseIt app and I log what I weigh and eat everyday in it and it also tells me how many calories I take in and what I should be getting. It also log my workouts and subtracts calories from that.
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 11:21pm
via Android

Increased physical activity makes me ravenous especially weight training. You say you have been eating well but are you keeping a diary of your food intake. It is so easy to think your consumption is good. Beware of low fat foods laden with sugar. I believed I was eating well until I started a food diary. 

26 Jan
I haven't been, its hard to find time for that with 3 jobs and college full time. I'm just worried. Maybe I'll download a food diary app and maybe that will be easier
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 11:36pm
via Android

Try myfitnesspal. It can be tedious to start with but once you have the main entries you can just pick your favourites from a list. I used it religiously for a month as a baseline. It was invaluable.

Image_thumb
731 Posts
Jan 27, 2014 12:43am
via iOS
I dont think it whould hurt you to put in a little weight you look really skinny ;)

When thats said

Dont worry. 3 pounds your first 30 days is nothing. I can gain 5 pounds in a Day by eating lots of salt and drink lots of water. 

Point is your probably not watching your cals, so you May have gained a little weight, but most if it is probably water and glucogen stored by your muscles :)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 27, 2014 2:16pm
via Android

Muscle does weigh more than fat, so if I'm trying to lord weight, i never follow actual weight loss, but rather how my clothes fit me. That way you can actually tell if your exercise is working

Snzu6djwsq51oi-9deymcq_thumb
63 Posts
Jan 27, 2014 4:22pm
via Android

Try taking full body pictures of yourself to see how your body is changing, then you can ignore the weight gain and see realistically if you are steering away from your target

Image_thumb
25 Posts
Jan 27, 2014 4:50pm
via Android

I believe you are doing well! The 3 pounds is definitely muscle gain and fat loss. The more muscle the more fat you burn all the time. Keep up the good work! And don't worry about being hungry bc your muscles need more fuel to keep your metabolism up! Way to go!

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 27, 2014 7:46pm
via Android

Don't base everything on the scale weight.  Look at getting your percent body fat measured, along with circumferential measurements(standards are, neck, shoulder width, chest, abdominal, hips, mid upper arm, mid thigh and mid calf).  They typically are better to gage your progress by.

Image_thumb
222 Posts
Jan 29, 2014 1:41pm
via Android

You will usually in some weight initially as part of the body's response to the activity. I gained 6 lbs the first time I started weight training for the first 6 weeks but then lost 21 lbs the next four as my body adapted to the regimens. Stress may be a factor as well as it seems you have a very busy schedule.

Icon_missing_thumb
75 Posts
Jan 30, 2014 11:37pm
via Android

I gained two pounds too. But I've never gained two pounds before. I've been eating healthier in fact. But I am doing heavier sets of kettlebell. Could it be muscle?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51