Driking Alcohol after workout?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
11 Posts
Apr 5, 2014 7:43am
via Android

Is drinking a small amount of alcohol going to hinder your recovery?

05 Apr
Drinking alcohol directly slows down the bodies recovery time
05 Apr
Thanks bro.
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Apr 5, 2014 8:47am
via Android

I woudnt recommend it.

Image_thumb
16 Posts
Apr 6, 2014 7:50am
via Android

Is there any science behind these claims?  Why do marathoners drink beer after a race?  Time for some research.  :)

06 Apr
There is plenty of research done.
07 Apr
It's the same thing tough mudder, Spartan race n warrier dash at the finish beer
Image_thumb
16 Posts
Apr 6, 2014 8:54am
via Android

New research. .. Google. ."benefits of drinking beer after a workout"... It's not a bad thing.  Yay! 

06 Apr
Google the exact opposite and I guarantee you'll find articles saying the complete opposite. You may have to use your own brain to discern truth from nonsense. Not everything on the Internet is true.
Image_thumb
16 Posts
Apr 6, 2014 11:32pm
via Android

Obviously everything you read ANYWHERE isn't all true.  What I've discovered regarding this particular topic is that there are surprisingly few medically backed studies published.  With the popularity of alcohol, one would expect a larger source to access in the attempt to "use your brain" and decide what is true.  "Alcohol" is a broad topic.  Notice I said "beer".  Recent studies have shown that beer doesn't negatively effect muscle recovery post workout.  So again I say "Yay!  It's not a bad thing".

07 Apr
How much beer? Cuz mostly what i found was that it helped to hydrathe after workouts. And it was in very small amounts of beer. And it was mostly due to the sugar in beer not everything else in it.
Image_thumb
11 Posts
Apr 6, 2014 11:41pm
via Android

I'm guessing it's all depends on how much alcohol we consume after working out.

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Apr 7, 2014 6:02am
via Android

Maybe one of the reasons there is a lack of evidence is that no body would give ethical approval for a study where participants are loaded with varying amounts of alcoholic drinks post-exercise.

Also,  even if a trial was done the results would be questionable as a trial like this could not be double-blinded; in other words the alcohol group would know they were taking alcohol. The psychological effects of knowing you are drinking alcohol (which are well documented) may confound the actual physical effects. And so we would not know what effects are purely down to the physiological effects of alcohol post-exercise.

Just a thought...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51