I feel like I need more reps!

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
May 21, 2014 6:04pm
via iOS
I'm following a program from a trainer. He has me doing 2 sets of 12 reps.
My workouts go by too fast.
Just out of curiosity, do you think it would hurt my results if I doubled my sets?
I'm thin, trying to build mass, chest, and arms. While trying to avoid love handles;
I do resistance every other day and cardio between, with 1 or 2 days off.

I'm addicted to working out and would love to spend more time doing it.
Sample workout;
Workout 1: Chest/Back/Shoulders
Chest:
Machine chest press
Machine incline chest press
Back:
Machine seated row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulders:
Side Dumbbell raise 15
Front Dumbbell raise 10
21 May
Just try contracting your muscles brah, dont count the reps make the reps count.
21 May
I had to look up "contracting muscles while working out". I'm going to pay more attention to feeling and squeezing my muscles while working out. I'm new to this. Only two months. Thanks Demarez
Image_thumb
274 Posts
May 21, 2014 10:35pm
via Android

Concentrate more on the tempo of each rep, proper form, and complete range of motion and each set will last longer

Image_thumb
12 Posts
May 21, 2014 11:49pm
via iOS
Thanks, Jason.  I keep seeing conflicting info regarding this.  Some people say slow, steady, concentrate....  Others say FAST!
I always leave the gym feeling like doing more.
Image_thumb
274 Posts
May 22, 2014 1:08am
via Android

You need slow and steady if you are just beginning a weight regiment. The body needs to be condoned with the proper range of motion with proper form. If you lift fast, you risk improper form, resulting in muscular imbalances and injuries. later on, you can lift the weight (concentric part of the lift) fast, pause, then lower the weight slowly (eccentric part of the lift). The body builds more lean muscle in the eccentric part of a lift. Lifting fast is primarily for power, trying to get a certain amount of weight from one area to the next as fast as possible. Most people do not need to do power training ever. You can look cut and shredded with just strength training. Only hit the power training if you are in sports, some kind of functional related activity, or just feel like doing it. All depends on your goals

Image_thumb
12 Posts
May 22, 2014 1:17am
via iOS
Yeah, I think I'll focus more.  I just felt unsatisfied when leaving the gym after only 2 sets of 12 reps of everything.
Thanks again, Jason!
I worked out this morning, about 10 hours ago, and I really want to go back right now!
Instead, I did some crunches with my daughter.  I can't believe how much im addicted to working out.  It's a shame I didn't figure this out a long time ago.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51