Any half marathoners?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
28 Posts
Jun 29, 2014 12:59pm
via Android

Just started a new 12 week half marathon training program and was wondering if anyone else did half marathons?

Image_thumb
185 Posts
Jun 29, 2014 1:50pm
via iOS
I do not but I do know why the marathon is called a marathon and why it's the distance that it is. I do the history side of the marathon rather than the physical side, so you could say I half marathon :')
29 Jun
So whats the history of it? :p
06 Aug
I ran a half marathon in 2010 and loved it. I hated running before I started training for it. It's not easy but it feels like a great accomplishment. I can't wait til I'm in better health to sign up for the next one.
Image_thumb
81 Posts
Jun 29, 2014 7:04pm
via Android

I want to do half marathon in October. Have 14 weeks to prepare.

29 Jun
If you get the nike running app they have a pretty good PR beating program for 5k, 10k, half marathon, and full marathons if you wanna look into it!
29 Jun
Thanks Doug, I will look into it. I do have problem pacing myself and struggle to find a comfortable rhythm.
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Jun 29, 2014 7:41pm

I've done a few half marathons before. It's a nice distance to run.

The general advice is that if you are able to comfortably run 8 miles you should be able to finish a half marathon without any problems - I'd say in my experience that holds true.  For me it's all about finding a running rhythm and then having the fitness to stick to that rhythm without speeding or slowing. Thankfully I've always been able to settle into a comfortable rhythm, and once I do I feel like I could run all day (though that attitude may not get you the fastest finish time!).

I have run and completed half marathons after no prep/training - so if you are fit it is possible - though I wouldn't recommend it as you are more likely to pick up injuries. When I have trained I haven't been super-professional - I just kept it simple - one/two 8 mile runs per week, every week, trying to get faster each week.

You can probably tell I was more of a recreational-runner than a serious club runner!

Image_thumb
53 Posts
Jun 30, 2014 1:57am
via Android

I am not ready for 13 miles yetTraining for my first 5k. 

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Aug 3, 2014 6:09pm

Hey Doug, so have you done it yet?

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 9:14pm
via iOS
I have done 16 or 17 half marathons.

I have done 1 marathon as well. 

If you do not already have a good running base then 12 weeks might not be enough to train to run the whole thing.

You will be able to finish with a run/walk approach and there is no shame in that.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51