Crunches and pushups i need an alternative! Help!

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Jul 25, 2014 2:44pm
via Android

I can do practically everything there is to do here but i really must avoid pushups and crunches due to a back problem i have. Can you suggest an alternative to these. I too want to get nice abs but i cant perform these exersizes!

Image_thumb
612 Posts
Jul 25, 2014 2:48pm
via Android

Planks planks planks. 

25 Jul
Ok... but i cant hold them for 2 mins hahaha
25 Jul
You don't need to initially. You need to work your way up. Work on whatever you can do regularly and you will improve
25 Jul
Thank Alan
27 Jul
I agree with you planks are the best for abs
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Jul 25, 2014 3:03pm
via Android

Planks and side Planks will help strengthen your core, which is way better than getting well defined abs in my opinion.
But if its ab definition you're looking for then try the Sunrise, Sunset. It will engage your whole upper body but if you choose a lighter weight the strain on your back should be minimal. Give it a shot and if it doesn't workout planks are your only option.
Can't think of an ab workout that doesn't involve the back.
Cheers :)

25 Jul
Sry for my ignorance, but what are Sunrise and Sunset?
25 Jul
Here's the video http://youtu.be/NqvooBJ8FY8 The exercise is at 2:40 :)
27 Jul
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Jul 27, 2014 12:53pm
via Android

Well, you can do planks, spiderman plank,  side plank, russian twist

27 Jul
s d3eeEs b
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Jul 27, 2014 6:03pm
via Android

How about push ups against a wall? Have you tried them?  They may be easier on your back. And rather than crunches have toy tried legs raises/lifts and scissor legs? They don't require you to bend you're back.
It's hard to recommend something without knowing the extent of your back problem and your limitations.

27 Jul
If you can't do push ups because of your back I can't see why planks wouldn't be a problem also :-S
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jul 27, 2014 7:05pm
via Android

Most ab exercises will require you to use your back unfortunately, what you can also do is to always engage your core while doing other lower and upper body exercises..so if you do bicep curls for example contract your stomach and to make it more intense do it on an uneven surface like a BOSU ball. Also start off with 30sec planks rather and work your way up to 1min..as everyone else mentioned before this will definitely strengthen your core

Image_thumb
166 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 5:22am
via Android

I also have a back issue and I find push ups very stressful on my back. I prefer to do dumbbell bench press with my feet on the bench (takes stress off lower back) instead. As for the crunches I'm not really sure, I do crunches with a few rest days in between so my back has time to recover. Instead of crunches, you could do elbows to knees standing up maybe? Hope this helped

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51