Reps Vs. Sec ??

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Jul 31, 2014 7:39pm
via Android

Noticed the work outs are designed that each set is broken down into seconds instead of x amount of reps per move...

Curious as to why this is? If it is more beneficial or if that varies by person... which way you yourself perfer to execute a workout... And if there is any workouts done by rep instead of sec on here??

31 Jul
That's the fault of the workout creator who should be doing the exercises and putting an accurate time for the required # of reps. Look at the exercise description to make sure the recommended # of reps isn't posted there
02 Aug
Secs definitely secs. If your muscles don't burn you're not doing it right. The weight and the reps only count if you are building anything else is secs.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jul 31, 2014 8:15pm
via Android

I think the main reason is so that they are challenging to people of all abilities,for instance someone who is used to exercise can do more in a set time than a beginner and the fitter u get the more u can do so it remains challenging and also lets u see how much u r progressing.

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 8:25pm
via Android

In my opinion, reps should matter more if you're a beginner. Try doing a healthy amount of reps to build up your strength and then once you get strong enough you can challenge yourself by doing them quicker.

There's no point in, for example, trying to do 20 pushups in 20 seconds if you don't have the strength to do 20 in like a minute. So there's no harm in taking a few extra secs for each rep.

So focus on gaining strength and maintaining form. Soon you'll be strong enough to blow through your sets. :)

31 Jul
And the main purpose of a timed set is to maintain intensity. So that you don't slack off. It keeos your heart rate up and your blood pumping. This will improve your recovery rate. As you progress you'll find that you need less time between sets to recover than you did when you first started.
Image_thumb
731 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 9:11pm
via iOS
Think about it. How is your fone supposed to know how many reps you have done? Some workouts Will tell you to do x amought of reps or to do as many as you can, but unless you workout to get as strong as possible you should focus on time under tension and not reps.
If you train for power speed it's a little different and you should focus on going as fast as possible in the consentric face :)
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 10:05pm
via Android

I think it's a limitation of the app. Then again I noticed that the timer works great, it's more honest to your bodies abilities. When starting I often do more reps in the same amount of time. So the timer gives me an instant drop set. What matters in the end is the amount of time your muscles are under tension. As a rule of thumb if I complete the last set or time I'll raise the amount of weight. This way I make sure my muscles have an incentive to grow :-)

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Aug 1, 2014 12:15am
via Android

Tempo is just as important as reps.

Image_thumb
1 Post
Aug 2, 2014 12:12pm
via Android

Doing workouts but won't show on profile

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51