Putting together program

2 posts | Original | Recent
382 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 7:39am
via Android

I'm putting together a workout program for me. Three times a week, appr. 45 min incl stretch, plus a ten minute warmup. The exercises are without equipment/with dumbbells.

I'm thinking
Day 1: legs
Day 2: arms, butt and abs
Day 3: back, chest and shoulders

Is this good or is there too much focus on the legs with one whole session just for legs?
I don't have any goals in particular, I want to stay strong and healthy, tone the muscles I have and build some new.

9 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 5:22am

I stick mostly with compound exercises which give you the biggest bang for your buck. The only machines I use are cables and the assist pull-up/dip machine. Using free weights, dumb bells, kettle bells, barbells means your body has to  work harder tostabilize itself. most of the exercises I do are squats, lunges, rows, planks, presses, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, deadlifts, glute bridges, hip thrusts, snatches, cleans, crawls, kb/db swings. There are many variations of these exercises Using either just body weight or free weights. For cardio, I often mix it up from sprints to skipping to kb swings, rowing, various body weight exercises ie. burpees, thrusters, jump squats, box jumps, skipping and lunges to kb swings. I also round out my workouts with balance and agility work using low hurdles, ladder and cone drills, bosu and Swiss ball balancing exerciseS. i train using both bilateral and unilateral exercises For example sometimes doing a two armed chest press and other times doing a one arm or alternating arm chest press. At the end of the day I firmly believe in consistency, working hard but not to failure leaving 1-2 reps left in the tank, keeping track of your progress, having a plan and learning proper exercise form to get the most from your workout while preventing injury. proper nutrition and adequate rest and recovery are even more important than the workout itself or you risk sanotaging the hard work you've done.

28 Nov
Thanks for replying. Alternating unilateral and bilateral exercises seems like a great idea!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51