Squats and lunges

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 9:18am
via Android

As for many others, my quads are a LOT stronger than my hamstrings. How can I prevent quads completely taking over while doing for instance squats and lunges? What exercises could I do for targeting hamstrings? Can I do deadlifts with dumbbells instead of a barbell? I don't have the finances or space for getting a barbell right now.

25 Nov
Farmers walk it builds everywhere
Image_thumb
365 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 12:35pm
via Android

What is farmers walk?

25 Nov
It's a strongman exercise where you have weighted barbells or dumbbells in each hand and then walk with the weights with arms hanging straight down by your sides.
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 1:11pm
via Android

I don't know what it is either?

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 1:16pm
via Android

Okay, I was sitting in front of the computer so I googled it. It seems it mainly targets forearms and that's definitely not a part of my body that needs strengthening. I have a tendency with forearms taking over in certain exercises as well. I struggled with it when I used to workout in the gym.

28 Nov
It can target shoulders mostly but legs are given you can choose different upper body parts with variations but each one of them will hit your legs hard
Icon_missing_thumb
17 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 2:52pm
via Android

Farmers walk is a workouts where you walk with weight. There are multi variation to get upper body muscle but it does mainly hit legs.

Image_thumb
110 Posts
Nov 25, 2014 3:02pm
via Android

Goto the Homepage for the app / slide out the menu on the left side / click exercises / goto muscle group / first listed are general areas, the further you go down it gets into specific muscle groups. :-)

26 Nov
Yeah I used it for creating my sessions, just thought real life people might have some more advice. :P
Image_thumb
201 Posts
Nov 26, 2014 5:29am
via Android

Deadlifts with dumbbells are a great idea. If you have something you can stand on (just a few inches off the ground) and deadlift, it will let you go further down and really get those hamstrings going!

26 Nov
Thanks! I'll definitely try that.
10552453_10152287905617894_7336545304856811134_n_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 28, 2014 1:52pm

Walking lunges with dumbbells are great, lean forward slightly hinging at your hipsĀ  and sink as deeply as you when you lunge to hit the hamstrings and hip flexors more than your quads. Split squats and bulgarian split squats also work well & you can either hold the dumbbells at your sides or hold 1 dumbbell goblet style up by your chest. High step ups work the hams well also and again you can use 1 DB goblet style or hold both at your sides. Try Romanian deadlifts with dumbbells and your couldstand on a riser or something to give yourself height from the floor to hit the hams more.

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 2:22am
via Android

Dumbell good mornings are my favorite. You will kill those hammies

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51