Pain..... Squats

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
211 Posts
Nov 27, 2014 8:44am
via Android

I recently started doing squats, I don't feel anything in my butt but I feel my knees pain. What am I doing wrong and what is the correct way to do it? All answers will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

27 Nov
I also get pain in the knees when doing squats. The best thing that I've found that it helps is to not squat too deeply.
27 Nov
Ohk. Thanks for your advice eve!
27 Nov
Do stretches before workout babydoll. And it's in the correct posture aswell. Google it to see pictures. ;) Goodluck doll
27 Nov
Thank you AJ! I do stretch before and after working out though.
27 Nov
I'm on day three of the squat challenge and the muscles in the front of my thighs hurt also my glutes. But that tells me it's working... The best advice I got on how to do it right is that you should feel pressure on your heels and not on your toes. Hope this helps.
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Nov 27, 2014 10:23am
via Android

Butt should go a bit below knee level..back straight and looking diagonally upward should give you the right pressure...tummy tucked in and pushing hips backward will help..

27 Nov
Thank you ricky
Image_thumb
50 Posts
Nov 27, 2014 3:32pm
via Android

The things u too are doing is probably simple if u guys are jut starting to squats please don't start with weight especially heavy. For the knee problem most likely you guys are squatting while bending your knees foward passing your toe. Which is really bad and bad form. Try squatting without weights look in a mirror turn side way look your knees and back also butt to see if u found a proper form.

27 Nov
Thank you M.S. and... No, I don't use weights
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Nov 27, 2014 3:58pm
via Android

Try going down really slowly. Also try bulgarian split squats as they are safer for the knees.

27 Nov
Okay thanks! Can u send the link to that please?
27 Nov
Because I'm not able to find it.
10552453_10152287905617894_7336545304856811134_n_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 28, 2014 1:45pm

If your knees are hurting, could it also be that you are caving your knees inwards, pronating them, when squatting down? Have someone knowledgable check your form, perhaps a trainer?, for correct squat technique. Stick to bodyweight until form is perfect then add weight slowly to progress, upping weight in an increment of 5% to a maximum of 10 lbs. Check your form in a mirror, maybe video yourself if possible and compare against 'perform form pictures/videos' also can help you to see where you're going wrong.

You could also try box squats but personally I prefer using risers just to tap your butt down onto then immediately stand back up.  The great thing with risers is you can start higher then keep removing 1 riser at a time to really practice getting the squat movement/pattern down pact and create muscle memory.

A couple of other tips I got were:

Focus on pushing your knees outward as you squat down, you're not actually moving your knees/legs out but contract your muscles & push outwards. For this part maybe try putting a light circular resistance band around your quads just above your knees as a reminder to push out.

When coming out of your squat, remember to squeeze your glutes together hard, feel like you've got to keep a pencil from falling down lol.

28 Nov
Thank you so much for the tips Alison! :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51