Sternum pain when doing tricep dips??

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 8:09pm
via Android

I include these as part of my tricep workout now and nearer the end of my reps and last set between my chest really hurts like the bone there is going to snap! Ive had a trainer watch my form and its correct. Does anyone else experience this? Does it ever ease or go away? My trainer said it could be to with my chest being tight....

22 Jan
Ok, years ago when I first started training I was always taught never to let women go above 90 degrees at the elbow with triceps press downs but that's seems to be disregarded today. It can separate and damage the cartilage in the ribcage for beginners. Different exercises I know but still. Are you doing parallel or bench dips? It sounds like your trainers not picking up on the fact that you might be leaning forward to much and turning it in to a chest movement is one factor. The position of your arms and body may also be placing...
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jan 22, 2015 11:23pm
via Android

Sounds like a sign of bad form. I know my form is bad when I start feeling my pecs become tight. Are you doing these weighted or non weighted.

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 1:21am
via Android

Im doing them non weighted and using a bench. I start off with my legs straight out and together, my back straight and as close to the bench as possible. I do 10 reps like this then i move onto 2-3 more sets the same but with my legs raised.

23 Jan
Well your form seems spot on. I would say if the pain you feel is at an 8 - 10 , stop doing the exercise. There's a lot of other great tricep exercises you can do instead.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51