Culking: bulking and cutting at the same time.

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jan 27, 2015 9:07am
via Android

Hi everyone! I recently read an article about "Culking." They say that it's for "the skinny-fat guys," people who are nowhere near genetic limits for fat loss or muscle gains. It's about building muscle mass while losing fat at the same time.

Their 3-step guide includes the following:
1.) Train hard
2.) Eat plenty
3.) Be consistent

I never tried those bulking and cutting phase, where people bulk for a certain time and when they reach their desired muscle mass, they go into the cutting phase, but I believe that these 3 steps are essential for every fitness regimen. I would like to know your thoughts about "culking" strategy.

Here's the link to the article: menshealth.com/fitness/cure-for-skinny-fat

Looking forward for some discussions over this topic.

27 Jan
It takes hard work and talent :-) you will do well :-)
27 Jan
I'm actually doing good! I've been working out for more or less 4 years, I've been over and undertrained in the past. Now, I'm seeing results! It takes hard work, perseverance, and knowledge to reap the benefits.
28 Jan
It really shows :-) and the good thing is you have your whole life to improve. You get better with time. Im not ever going to stop, it's a life style now :-)
28 Jan
Yeah! It's a lifestyle. I see myself still doing this at the age of 80. Thanks for the motivation and morale boost, Maria! :)
28 Jan
If you plan to do this well into your 80s, you cam still go on a date lol.....not be pushing a walking frame. You motivate me also. Cheers :-)
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Jan 27, 2015 7:34pm
via Android

It's what works for me. I want cut fat but also build a muscular frame. I thought about going strictly weight training but I was already 280lbs and the weight was literally holding me down, so I didn't want to bulk up. I didn't know culking was a thing when I started walking then running on my return to exercise. I wanted to burn fat so cardio was my answer but then I started getting shin splints. So I dabbled in the weight room. Found out that adding lean muscle can help you burn fat quicker. So put together a basic 50/50 cardio/strength training routine. Followed that and made refinements based on plateaus and new goals. 7 months later I've dropped body fat percentage by 10% and now have real shoulders, arms, back, and chest. You can see the workouts  I do on my profile. Last thing... I've seen people in my gym drop twice as much weight or build crazy mass in the same time because they focus on one type of exercise or the other. I've been discouraged a few times because I don't see those drastic changes even though I go hard every time in the gym. Just saying it's a more gradual process because I'm not putting every thing into either fat burn or muscle build. My efforts are spread over the two different  types of exercise so the change is not as easily visible like body builders or runners

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 27, 2015 7:46pm
via iOS
Take a look at "30 days to shred" by Craig Capurso.
I completed it in December & dropped 17lbs in weight but added muscle. 
A strict diet plan coupled with workouts consisting of heavy volume weight training/high weight reps/HIIT/steady state cardio, 
Perfect for someone wanting to shock their body into ahredding.
I'm doing it again in March after I've bulked up this month 
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 12:40pm
via Android

I don't want to get so buff because I'm short, so bulking is a no no for me. And, I don't want to focus on cardio that would make me look like a high school student haha. Given that I see myself in the skinny-fat category, I think culking is really for me. I do heavy compound exercises for the bulk, and Tabata/HIIT for fat loss. Seems to work well, unlike in the past where I only focused on either mass or fat loss.

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 29, 2015 10:51am
via Android

Hi :)

29 Jan
Hi Anjelica!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51