Fat not weight

2 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Feb 18, 2015 12:20pm
via Android

Hi there, so all through High School I weighed a consistent 180 I now weight 255. Now I know that I will probably will never weight 180 again but I'm ok with that, in fact I would like to weigh in at 220. But I want muscle not fat. I want to have about 17% or 18% body fat and I'm at 27% now. So, does anyone have any advice on how to get there?

18 Feb
Weights not big of an issue I mean really muscle weighs more than fat I used to weigh 147 in highschool not so muscular I weighed 135 two months ago clothes still too tight muffin tops now I weigh 137 and my clothes from two months ago fit big now and my thighs and arms are more muscular no more muffin tops.
Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Feb 18, 2015 3:32pm

Strength training and lifting heavy weights. There are several variables at play here. You want to change your body composition so that a higher percentage of your mass is muscle rather than fat. To do this you must burn more calories daily than you consume. That deficit will cause your body to look within itself for energy. Fat is stored energy. I would recommend that you start by finding your total daily energy expenditure then subtracting 20% for a daily deficit.

By restricting your calories and getting into the habit of eating right your body will start to shed fat. This will only get you half way there however. In order for you to retain muscle or at least minimize losing muscle you have to WORK your muscles. Your body will go after muscle first to make up for your caloric deficit. When losing a great deal of weight, this is pretty much unavoidable. You can get into the habit of working your muscles though so that when you're near your goal you can work more specifically to combat fat in your body. Work your muscles to failure. Meaning when you do an exercise, do it until your muscles cannot physically do another repetition with good form. When you work your muscles to failure, you cause them to tear and grow. It is important to remember that plenty of water and a good amount of protein is required to help your muscles heal after you've worked them.

Your diet should consist of a balance of the three basic macronutrients Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat. As you near your goal the percentages of these three macros will change. To start, I would recommend that you set your ratios at 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. Make sure you are precise in your calorie consumption and be consistent. You will start to see results within a few weeks. When your weight changes by more that 5 pounds, recalculate your daily caloric needs. Keep up this pattern until you reach your goal.

Obviously there is a lot more to it than I've explained here, but I have tried to give you a basic overview of what you'll need to do to achieve your goal. Don't be discouraged by mistakes, just keep at it every day. Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51