DARE TO SHRED - Scotty K's 30 Day Workout Program

299 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 4:47pm

A 30 day shredding program designed by me to burn body fat whilst maintaining muscle. I've built this program from scratch using fitness principles from some of the best known personal trainers in the business. All workout methods have been tried and tested by me in over the last 2 years.

** This workout program is my own creation which I am beginning March 1st **

Anyone wishing to take part or try out some of the workouts just need to check out my created file - They are called "DARE TO SHRED" and each day will be numbered (I've added 7 so far).

**This is my personal journal to track my daily progress. I have been using a monthly journal since December to hold myself accountable and document my skimble journey. Here I will log my daily weight (I only weigh myself daily while shredding to establish a daily routine), my daily calories and macronutrients, and workouts.**

26 Feb
I would like to try.
25 Mar
Gonna try this. I let you know what a week is like .... Excited
25 Mar
Hope you like it Marisol! Week one is pretty gentle as it builds up each week. Right now it's as intense as hell!!
08 Apr
I so want to try this out, I just know me and know I have to build up a routine to be dedicated to working out daily before I start. Also, I am so picky about what I want to work on on specific days, and work out with water aerobics and other activities outside of skimble. I have to have that daily balance, but very interested in thos program.
08 Apr
Hi Andrea, feel free to swap the workouts around to fit your schedule. They are all in my created file
Image_thumb
252 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 4:57pm
via Android

Count me in!!!!

23 Feb
lol, jumped right in there Jessica!! I'm posting more info as we speak
23 Feb
Lmbo!!! Im excited!!!
23 Feb
me too!!!!
23 Feb
Wait i dont have membership but i have a Workout/gym room!! I have a lot off workout equipment (different machines, bench with leg weights , 3 bars( not sure the exact name at time lol) but im sure you know and with lots of plate sizes, lots of dumbbell sizes , yoga mat and my bike. Also my treadmill will be here before the 1st yayyy!!! Would that be enough. Oh yea I'll be getting a rope. New scale with fat/water,ect percentage and if i need to get more i will lolol.
23 Feb
Lol, that should be enough to make most of it work for you. When you check each workout day if there's anything you don't think you can do just let me know and I'll give you an alternative option
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 4:57pm

The Countdown - Day One

Yesterday was my final bulking day and I have started my 'deload week' ( A week where I will give my body a chance to rest by doing only steady state cardio and only lifting 60-70% my normal weight at the gym )

The workout I will be using is called "DELOAD WEEK"(in my created file) - A 60min full body workout incorporating compound exercises/steady state cardio intervals

STARTING INFO:

- Weight = 211.4lbs

- Height = 6ft 1ins

- Starting Calories = 2654 - This is 15% below my 'maintenance level' calories of 3100 and should reduce my weight approximately 2lbs by the end of this week. I will then maintain this calorie level for the first week of March but the intensity of my workouts will increase significantly which should shock my body into losing a further 2-3lbs. In the second week my calories will be reduced by 200 each week while the workout intensity will increase.

- Macro Ratios = 50% protein / 40% carbs / 10% fats - through the week the carbs will reduce and the fats increase proportionately. The 7th day will be high carb.

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:05pm

THE WORKOUT PROGRAM - PROMISES:

- It'll hurt! You'll be sore! Your body will be shocked into burning fat, you'll be exhausted be the end of each week

- You get one day's rest. Use it!

- Each day will get tougher. Each week will get tougher. Every day will change, Every week will change. Your body literally will not know what the hell is going on.

- You'll lose FAT, you'll tone up, your muscle endurance will improve, your stamina will improve significantly

- You will not see many changes, if any, by the end of the first week. You might see changes by the en of the second week. You'll see major changes by the end of the third week. If you don't eat clean don't expect unreal results

- I'll post daily info, my weight, progress photos, how I'm feeling, what's working, what's not.

- I lost 17lbs in 30 days in December 2014 doing a shred workout program. This one is tougher.

23 Feb
All the best with this program bro!! :)
23 Feb
thanks Vishal, I'm stoked!! I've put a lot of work into making this into a brutally effective program
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:12pm

HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?

- It is gym-based (sorry to those who asked me to design a home-based program. It just wasn't possible given what I want it to achieve)

- You hit the weights 4 times a week - Monday / Tuesday / Thursday / Friday (if this doesn't work change it to suit your needs but stick to the muscle order)

- 2 days per week are abs/cardio days only. One day is rest, use it if you need to, if you can burn more calories then do it. Hell, I know if I've got an ounce of energy left I'll be doing something!!

WEEK ONE:

Monday - Legs / Shoulders

Tuesday - Chest / Back

Wednesday - Abs / Cardio

Thursday - Arms / Calves / Traps

Friday - Legs / Shoulders

Saturday - Abs / Cardio

Sunday - Rest (or get your ass up and move!)

**You'll notice that you work your legs/shoulders twice in the first week. That's not a mistake!! The following week you'll do the same with your chest/back etc etc**

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:21pm

HERE'S THE SCIENCE

- You'll be shocking the body by alternating the reps each week. For example, you'll be doing 8 rep lifting with heavy weight in the first 3 gym sessions. When you hit the legs/shoulders on the 4th day you'll jump to 25 reps with lighter weight. This will engage different muscle fiber groups and keep the body guessing so it continues to grow. This will change again in the 3rd week, and again in the 4th where we'll introduce pyramid sets.

- Each week will involve different exercises, combining compound exercises on some days, and isolation exercises on other days. There will be explanations on each workout and I'll be happy to answer any questions about exercises etc

- You'll be doing cardio.. A lot of cardio! But we'll be changing it each day and week and you'll be mixing it up with HIIT and steady state cardio. Don't worry about using muscle, the weight-lifting elements are designed to minimise muscle loss

- You'll be using methods you may not be familiar with such as Heavy Volume Training (10 sets of max weight, 3 reps). These methods have been specifically chosen to stimulate muscle growth whilst elevating your heart-rate to create a cardio effect on your body and burn calories.

- Each week you'll work some muscle groups TWICE. Yep!! Told you it's gonna hurt!! Trust me, the results will be worth it.

I'll post a photo of the calendar breakdown on to this topic today

23 Feb
This looks awesome. I want in.
23 Feb
You're more than welcome Jason! I'd love to see the results from people prepared to give the program a shot. I'm just gonna continue logging stuff as it pops into my head, and if anyone wants any specific info they just need to ask.
26 Feb
would this work for girls who are trying to get the 'lean' look? i dont want to bulk up, so could i change it to lower weights, more reps? :)
26 Feb
It'll work and it's actually best NOT to change the reps. Lifting heavy won't bulk you up and the rep ranges/rests are specifically designed to lean out and tone your body faster.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:25pm
via iOS
NUTRITION
This topic tells you everything you need to know about calculating your calories. Using this method I've calculated what I need to be eating to keep me 15% under my 'maintenance level'
So I'll be starting the program on 2654 calories 
50% protein / 40% carbs / 10% fats 
THESE RATIOS ARE IMPORTANT!!!! If you want to try out this program stick to them. If you think you wanna stick to a low carb diet then don't bother doing this program, you'll not get the results you want. 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:43pm

OK!! Enough waffling!!

It's day one on my low calories of 2654 and I'm hungry! Hell, dropping from 4000 to 2654 was always gonna be tough!!

How am I gonna avoid temptations? I meal prep all my meals for the week on a Sunday. Everything is boxed up and ready to eat. 

I zone out and get into a routine:

- wake up, weigh myself, log it on here, eat breakfast, check the workout I'm going to do that day, get it done!

This week's meal plan:

BREAKFAST:

1 egg + 4 egg whites (scrambled) + 1 cup of oatmeal with a dash of soy milk + 1 rice cake & almond butter

SECOND MEAL:

6oz chicken + 7oz rice + 1 banana

** That's over a 1000 calories by mid-morning - that'll get the body fueled up to hit the gym as I go in the afternoons **

THIRD MEAL:

2 scoops of protein powder

FOURTH MEAL (after gym):

6oz chicken + 7oz brown rice

FIFTH MEAL:

2 scoops of protein powder + 3 rice cakes

SIXTH MEAL:

6oz chicken

This is just an example - The basic rule for my calorie level is to have 53g of protein in each meal. That's a lotta protein! But it's needed to counteract the cardio and maintain muscle (trust me, I researched this fully and didn't just make it up!)

BASIC PRINCIPLE IS 1.5G OF PROTEIN PER LB EACH DAY SPLIT BETWEEN THE 6 MEALS

Obviously my meals will change, I'm not a robot! This is just an example.

23 Feb
I didn't want to use any protein powder as I prefer to consume my calories and protein, but I just could not make the calories fit!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 5:45pm

I'll shut up now!! It's time to eat!!!!

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 8:57pm

So!

The workouts are beginning to appear in my created workouts file on my profile. The first 7 days are done and are pretty much set in stone. I've started to create week 2 but they could change between now and the beginning of the program as I'm reviewing each day to ensure the exercises are suitable for the rep ranges and target muscle groups.

Is this workout program appropriate to anyone?

SURE IT IS!! Unless you have a medical condition you can do this program, you just have to push as hard as you can for as long as you can. 

I appreciate feedback from anyone doing my workouts and as i'll be doing this anyway I'd welcome anyone giving one of them a try and letting me know how you get on.

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 9:18pm
via iOS

Here's a breakdown of the full 30 days. I'm still creating the actual workouts but they'll be 1 hour a day approximately except for the ab/cardio days when you can do anything you wanna do. 
23 Feb
This looks good! I wish I knew what you were doing in exercises, than maybe I can switch over to it! LOL I think my program might be good too!
23 Feb
The first week is done and in my created workouts Dawna. By the time I'm done I'll have created 30 days so you could always give it a try another month. You'll have to let me see yours though in case I wanna try it : ))
24 Feb
Is this for Men or both man and women ...? Cause I need a program and I don't know how! I need to concentrate on my butt and stomach.... Shell I have to train all my body after warming up or no need?
24 Feb
Is this for Men or both man and women ...? Cause I need a program and I don't know how! I need to concentrate on my butt and stomach.... Shell I have to train all my body after warming up or no need?
24 Feb
It's for anyone but it needs a gym ideally. It's a full body workout to shred body fat. The warm up is part of each day's workout.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 2:37am
via iOS
THE COUNTDOWN - DAY ONE
I thought it was gonna be tough dropping to 2654 calories and I was hungry up to gym time, but I feel ok now I've finished my final meal. 

Meals are already boxed for tomorrow so I can stick to the numbers.

As for my deload week workout, I'm making sure I leave the gym sweating and I'm hitting fatigue on each muscle, but I'm not destroying myself. This is all about giving myself a chance to rest, the low calories will take care of losing a bit of bodyfat this week. 

All in all, a nice little trial run on the calories & tomorrow I'll keep creating workout days 
Image_thumb
252 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 12:41pm
via Android

LET'S FINISH THESE SQUATS*Sk... Did these with 2-25lbs plates... BEAST MODE!!!

24 Feb
Keep getting those workouts in so your body can handle next week.. Hope you're gonna be ready to lift heavy! Lol
24 Feb
I love weightlifting. I was into before baby!!... I love these quotes. LIFT LIKE A MAN, LOOK LIKE A GODDESS!! ...... REAL WOMEN LIFT WEIGHTS!!!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 2:01pm
via iOS
THE COUNTDOWN - DAY TWO
starting my daily weigh-in today. Yes, I know that a daily weigh-in is OTT but I do it to get myself into a daily routine when shredding on those days when I'm sore and just wanna eat bacon!!
I also find it fascinating to see my weight fluctuate through the 30 days. If anyone gets demotivated by not seeing their weight change check this topic out & it'll show you that your body changes in spurts rather than a decreasing curve.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 2:06pm
via iOS
Countdown Day Two
Starting weight = 211.4lbs
Current weight = 208.4lbs
I'd be very surprised if I've lost 3lbs in 2 days!!!! Must've been holding on to some water weight when I started or something. Whatever it was, I'm not complaining!! 
I'll be happy if I'm around this weight when I start shredding, it'll make hitting 195 a LOT easier! 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 2:05am
via iOS
Pretty much nailed it today! Dropping my carbs down another 5% tomorrow and increasing my fats to compensate. 

Carb sliding like this to the end of the week is my preferred method of cutting body fat. The protein % never changes though 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 2:20pm
via iOS
Countdown Day Three
Starting weight = 211.4lbs
Current weight = 208.2lbs
Something came up yesterday so we didn't get a chance to hit the gym but I nailed the macros for the day so not overly concerned.
Today though I'm still gonna do my "DELOAD WEEK" workout but I'll do HIIT instead of steady state cardio to burn some extra calories 
I'll also be creating more of my SHRED workouts today.
Can't wait to get started!!!!! 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 7:47pm

I've been getting some private messages about this workout program so thought I'd clear up a few points on here for those serious about trying it out. i've chosen to do this as i've received quite a few PM's in the last couple of months and after taking a lot of time to respond in detail have seen people vanish.

- What kind of workout program is this? It's a SHRED program. It isn't for someone wanting to bulk up. It is designed to help you maintain and improve on your muscle tone whilst shredding body fat to show the muscle off better. It will not make you bigger, it will help you look better.

- Can you change the exercises? Yes you can, and I'll help where I can by recommending alternatives

- Can you do the program or workouts at home? You can 'try'. It's designed to be done at the gym merely because I need some equipment to optimise my results and some days call for maximum weight which I can only achieve at the gym. I've even had to modify it to suit Planet Fitness which I use because their dumbbells aren't heavy enough. So again, I'll try to help where I can if you comment on this thread with what you have access to.

A few more points to mention:

- I've provided detailed information on the nutrition you need to follow to make this program effective. (1) You need to keep your protein HIGH. Mine will be at 50% of my daily calories. If you don't you run the risk of losing some of the muscle you've worked hard to build. There is a high degree of cardio in this program... You are shredding, and you are doing it over only 30 days. Keep. The. Protein. High. And eat it whenever possible, keeping protein shakes to no more than 2 a day. (2) EAT CARBS! If you don't you'll have burnt yourself out by the 5th day and seriously considering quitting. My carbs will start the week at 40% of my daily calories, with the remaining 30% made up of fats. The carbs will reduce by 5% per day with my fats increasing by 5%. Sunday will go back up to 40%. Im doing this because 'carb sliding' is my preferred way to cut weight and I fully expect to be a little weaker by each weekend, but I will have more energy at the beginning of the week as a result of doing this.

If you don't plan on at least attempting to stick to a clean diet, eating enough calories and at least close to right macros you shouldn't expect results. You'll probably lose a few lbs which you'll put straight back on when you stop.

- KEEP TO THE REST STATIONS - They are specifically chosen each day to generate a different cardio effect. If you finish an exercise within the allotted time, skip to the rest and then hit the next exercise when it's up. DO NOT REST LONGER, you'll not get the total benefits of the workout.

- KEEP TO THE REPS - Again, they've been specifically chosen to hit different muscle fibers. If you hit fatigue, or don't finish in the alloted time, pause the workout catch some breath and FINISH THE DAMN REPS.

- DON'T WUSS OUT IN THE CARDIO SECTIONS - The steady state sections are to help you burn some calories while recovering, or to build up your stamina for tougher workout days. That doesn't mean you grab a magazine or watch TV. Push hard, increase the resistance, get your ass sweating. the HIIT rounds are designed to have your heart leaping out of your chest, and sweat & blood dripping on the floor. If you can talk at the end you didn't push hard enough. as one of my favorite celebrity trainers says "To look unnatural you have to do unnatural things at the gym". So suck it up, push through the pain.

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 12:38am
via iOS
Countdown Day Three
Incorporated HIIT exercises into my workout today to increase the calorie burn. At the same time my carbs have dropped by 5% today as well. A lot of calories burnt today & I'm ready to chill out and relax this evening now coz I'm tired!! 

Tomorrow is a high carb day as I'm still deloading this week. Yummy! 
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 1:27am
via Android

Count me in!

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 2:03am
via iOS
Hi Krissy, 
The first 7 day's workouts are already in my created file and I'm adding more each day. I'll obviously be doing the program anyway and using this topic to log my progress so it would be great to see people's results from it if they try it out. 
Some days will be tougher than others, and some will just involve grinding it out. The results are the priority. Hope you enjoy it though. I begin on Monday 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 2:10pm
via iOS
Countdown Day Four
High carb day today and a chance to hit some higher calories 
Starting weight = 211.4
Current weight = 209.2 I didn't drink enough water yesterday and hit the gym harder so I'm putting this down to a bit of muscle inflammation & dehydration. 
As long as I start my shred program around 210-208 I'll be happy 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 4:16pm
via iOS
I am not a clean-eating machine nor do I compete. When I want to have a blowout I don't let it bother me. Do I think it'll mess up all my hard work?! Hell no!!!!!! 
Just don't make it a daily thing & it'll make minimal difference to your dream body 
Image_thumb
342 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 8:15pm
via Android

That looks good...lol

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Feb 27, 2015 12:43pm
via iOS
Ok so before I chicken out I am in. Ive already committed the first 6 days to my calendar so I'll feel bad if I skip (best way to keep myself accountable haha). 
My start weight (back in September) was 185
And my weight as of February 21st was 176

I do not weigh everyday as my home scale is crap. Every month I get weighed and taped for the guard so that is when I'll pipe in most likely. I will remark if/when I tape myself however as I've been tracking my inches rather then my weight. 

Thanks for all the help and the suggestions Scotty, I'm glad I can participate at home. 
27 Feb
You're welcome
25 Mar
I want in how

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51