Tough Mudder Training

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 2, 2015 7:37pm
via iOS
Hey all,
I am preparing for the Tough Mudder coming to my area in May and I wanted to know if anyone had thoughts on the workouts that their website suggests (Mudderling, Maybe Mudder, and Tough Mudder). Are they effective to prepare you for an event like this? Are there any areas that aren't addressed with these canned workouts (like grip work, etc.)? I will also add that I am working on increasing my long-distance running abilities by running 2-3 times per week in addition to the Mudder workouts. Thanks for any help!

Jeremy
02 Mar
Just dont forget to work on finger strength and grip those r two things i also hear people complain thats why they couldnt do a part in an obstacle
02 Mar
That was one of the biggest things that I was thinking...trying to do the monkey bars with wet/muddy hands is going to be difficult so having a really strong grip seem essential. What are the best exercises for that...just things like wrist curls or doing hangs or farmer's carries? Thanks!
05 Mar
This post is awesome. I signed up for my first Mudder in June and have been wondering about the same things for prepping. I even got this app for the purpose of helping me get in shape for the Mudder. This helps a lot.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 2, 2015 8:59pm
via iOS
Hell yeah they work. I did them a few years ago and they destroyed me! I skipped the beginner one.
02 Mar
I'm pretty sure they are on here as well after being created by mudders
02 Mar
Oh yeah they definitely are tough! I have started doing them on there and they kick my butt! I just didn't know if there were other important movements that should be done to help with the different mechanics of the Mudder obstacles. I am not questioning the effectiveness but wondered if anyone who has done a mudder has identified weaknesses in their own fitness that they wish they would have worked on more when training for it (like grip work). Thanks for the reply!
02 Mar
Additional stuff I would recommend are pull-ups (different variations) & lower back strengthening & core work.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 11:40pm
via Android

I just signed up for a mud run...  I didn't even think about having to grip things with muddy hands...   Oh man,  I gotta  lot of prep work to do...

04 Mar
I did a smaller mud run last year and that was one problem I had. Plus I was dealing with elbow tendinitis which didn't help...
Image_thumb
23 Posts
Mar 4, 2015 12:08pm
via Android

Burpees mate. I've done a few and if you can manage 50+ burpees a day, it will help you so much, did with me anyway.

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 4, 2015 1:49pm
via Android

Hey, if you go onto spartan race website there are workouts of the day. Tough mudder and spartan race are very similar.

04 Mar
I will check that out....thanks!
04 Mar
Yeah it is pretty awesome. I definitely recommend. Also gives you different levels of difficulty.
04 Mar
Yeah the Tough Mudder does something similar but their idea of level of difficulty is just adding more circuits. I guess it is an endurance thing but I can't even do all of the basic one without rest yet.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 4, 2015 1:53pm
via iOS
Burpees are tough...wouldn't have thought they would be highly useful. Thanks for the response...will work on those!
04 Mar
Yes, if you do burpees, and get good at them, you will be unstoppable(along with running a long distance without stopping)
04 Mar
I do have a plan to increase my running distance by 10% a week. I'm currently at a 3.3 mile run.
04 Mar
Awesome, I'm not great at running. I need work :/ hah
04 Mar
Thing is all these events are relative strength orientated. Don't need to be benching 150 kg or squatting a crazy amount. Just need to be able to support yourself when you start to get tired. Burpees help so much with that.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51