Free weights vs weight machines

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
99 Posts
Mar 24, 2015 1:04pm
via Android

So when im at the gym i tend to enjoy using weight machines more than doing free weights. Sometimes i do both though. Just wanted to know which is better?

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 24, 2015 1:22pm
via iOS
Both have their own unique benefits. Most people tend to prefer free weight because the body has to control the weight whereas the machines do some of the work for you. 

I tend to use free weight for the major stuff and the machines for 'finisher' exercises at the end 
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Mar 24, 2015 2:27pm
via Android

I like machines. I do free weights to break up the monotony occasionally. I prefer machines because I can change the weight quicker. Also I see progress in the machines that I don't often see in the free weights. I feel like I get stuck on 25lbs dumbells everytime because making the jump to 30lbs dumbells is too much for me to get any reps in,  but with a machine and the ability to add 1.5lbs helps me to climb up to heavier weight.

Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 25, 2015 12:33am
via iOS
I agree with. Both previous comments.  I find machines are easier for beginners, and I would think they might have a lower risk of injury.  Also, you can work machines to exhaustion without having to worry about a spotter most of the time.
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Mar 25, 2015 1:10am
via Android

I tend to think of it the other way around. For a beginner, you need to condition the body with the right posture and correct range of motion. You are restricted to a certain movement for machines, and the average Joe does not know the proper height to put the seat and adjust everything else, etc. He may find himself doing the exercise in a horrible form, only causing injuries later down the line. I say learn proper form with freeweights, use machines when you learn the mechanics of your body later down the road.

25 Mar
Yeh true. I always watch vids first of how to use the weight machines and my body posture so i dont look like an idiot lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51