Exercise "pistol"

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 6:35am
via Android

Happy easter everyone, I ve got a question about the exercise pistol. I really don't know how to do this and what's the reason of don't get it. Are my legs to weak or my core? Anybody suggestions?

06 Apr
It could be both legs and core! For core you use it for any exercise you do at the gym and for legs is mainly when you do squats and lunges.
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 6:45am
via Android

Are you talking about a pistol squat?

05 Apr
Hm I don't know exactly. I got it in the WO "mountain women "
05 Apr
But it sounds like pistol squats
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 9:22am
via Android

I suppose it's pistol squats. Basically you're doing a squat but only on one leg, arms and the other leg extended in front.

It's a really challenging exercise where you need good strength in your quads, hamstrings and bum, but also a good balance.

Good luck with these!

Image_thumb
214 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 9:30am
via Android

Pistol squats are single leg squats, they challenge mainly your legs and balance. If you're not able to perform it properly I'd suggest doing it sitting on a bench or chair or something and trying to sit and get up using one leg and being the other leg straight forward. The better you get the lower you can start going. There are other "single leg squats" you could do too until you're strong enough to do pistols and when you'll want to try again you could do it with a partner doing it in front of you and holding your hands. This could help balance.

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 4:33pm
via Android

Thx I got it. Im not sure which muscle group isn't still strengths enough but I can't do the pistol squats, unfortunately 

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Apr 5, 2015 4:36pm
via Android

Thx very much!:) Great suggestion I ll keep training it until I can do them

Image_thumb
214 Posts
Apr 6, 2016 10:03am
via Android

Bump

Image_thumb
1021 Posts
Apr 6, 2016 11:53am
via Android

Most of the times it has to do more with mobility than strength. Usually it is dprsiflexion that is missing in the ankle that stops one from doing a pistol squat.

If you can't go down into the squat properly and lose balance at mid point or lower. I'm almost sure it is your ankle.

If you can lower yourself into a deep pistol squat but can't get out of it. It's a matter of strength. Quads, posteriorchain muscles and your core could be the problem. Usually not the case though unless you are really new to training or heavy.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51