Knee feels uncomfortable from foam rolling?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
171 Posts
Apr 18, 2015 7:10pm
via Android

I've been doing a lot of foam rolling recently but I noticed my knees sometimes feel kinda uncomfortable and weird the day after? It happens to both of them but it's never been at the same time. What am I doing wrong.. The "pain" is at the side of the knee away from the body.

18 Apr
It can happen in the beginning, the same pain you feel while getting a massage. But should disappear after a few times. A foam roller is used to massage your fascias - maybe you use it too hard on your knee?
18 Apr
But it's not while doing it, even though there's different sore places for sure. I'm talking about days after... It's weird. I tried googling it and it seems like it could have something to do with the IT band. Some people are saying it's bad to use a foam roller on that area.. Not sure though
19 Apr
I'd like to know what you find out... I've had a strange sensation in my right knee for a few weeks. Sort of weak, many pops and cracks on movement, and more a discomfort than a pain. So,etching is swollen too, because I have limited range of motion. I went for massage therapy, but it made little difference. I hope you find a solution.
20 Apr
Doesn't quite sound like we have the same problem Jeff, for me it's definitely just related to foam rolling and only lasts for a day or two. I'd really go get my knees looked at if s were you... It being swollen is not a good sign
20 Apr
Yeah, I think you're right...
Image_thumb
171 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 6:52am
via Android

Anyone? I guess I'm lucky if someone knows about this specific problem though...

Image_thumb
171 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 1:47am
via Android

Last try before I give up :p

20 Apr
Well, I know nothing regarding that but i hope you get the answer..:):)
20 Apr
Thank you :)
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 8:55am
via Android

I'm certainly no expert but my best bet is you're irritating your IT band or some tendon. I googled it-band and came up with an article called "Your IT band is not the enemy (but maybe your foam roller is)" on breakingmuscle.com.

20 Apr
The whole site was very interesting. WBR from someone who's supposed to be working.
20 Apr
I think you're right. Next time I use the foam roller I'll skip the IT bands and we'll see :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51