Same exercises feel harder

4 posts | Original | Recent
45 Posts
May 6, 2015 10:28am
via Android

Hi, lately when I have been doing, say, my squats they seem so much harder to do now than when I first started. It was a piece of cake but now not so much. Does gaining muscle weight sort of add weight to your exercises? I don't believe I've gained any fat, definitely not more than I already started with. Anyone else feel like the same exercises became more challenging during the first couple months of working out?

06 May
It is sort of de motivating, feeling like I'm even weaker than I was when I began working out. PS I haven't made any huge diet changes and am definitely not starving!
382 Posts
May 6, 2015 11:12am
via Android

This happens to me too from time to time. I have a couple of theories. 1. You might be tired for some reason. Stress, not getting enough sleep, the time of your menstrual cycle, not getting proper nutrients without noticing. And sometimes we can just get tired from no particular reason at all. 2. Your form is better. When we start working out we often don't pay enough attention to form and all exercises seem pretty simple. As you get stronger, you start working your muscles harder, for example going lower into squats or really tightening your abs while doing crunches. This will give the impression that the exercises get harder but the real reason is that you are working harder.

06 May
I agree with Anna. Every day is different, we're not always in best mood and our body is not always in best form too. When you start, you don't gain muscles at once. Just your body "works" better (nerves, Joints, bowstrings) and it's easier. Then you do more or do it better and it feels harder - which makes your muscles working more and they will grow
2 Posts
May 6, 2015 11:56am
via Android

Don't be disheartened at all. There's a few reasons this can be happening. The main one is that your body is tired and hasn't had the time to recover. Another possibility is that your body isn't used to working as hard as it is. It happens to everyone when they start working out for the first time. If that is the case just push through it. It's a good sign that what your doing is working good good luck

May 6, 2015 10:22pm
via Android

This shouldn't happen on the regular. But without any bluff, examine your workouts and make sure your form is correct. Also what you're doing outside of the gym (eat, sleep, smoking) is huge.
You only get stronger on your rest/rehab time. If you're dedicating your rest days to recovering, you will not only recover, but you will prepare yourself mentally to kill your next workout. Stay focused it will happen, it always does :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51