Advice for subbing exercises for a real beginner?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Aug 27, 2015 4:06pm

Hi all, I'm really a beginner to fitness. I'm not very strong and I'm heavy and uncoordinated. I have some real self-confidence issues tied to bad experiences in phys ed in my youth which I have to push through to work out. (I'm not saying that to solicit motivation or sympathy or anything, but rather to be realistic about where I am and what I can handle at this point. I'm here because I want to move past it!)

I started the "weight loss I" program and, though it seems like a very well-put together program, I'm only on the second workout and already the moves given are unobtainable for me. I am just not capable of doing some of these things yet. Maybe in a month or two I will be able to do plank hop-outs or alternating side planks for 30 seconds (or at all) but right now it's all I can do to hold an elbow plank for 10.

Can anyone help suggesting programs, workouts or alternate move substitutions that can help build core strength that are a bit more big-person beginner friendly? I'm ready to work, but I just don't want to start out on my journey feeling like I'm failing. It would be really good if there were a category for workouts as "beginner" as lower than "casual". I like the idea of having a set program to follow, if possible.

PS I am starting some in-person classes in mid-September, and I know that will help me get some good me-appropriate workouts and will help with my confidence (I hope). But they don't start for two weeks and I'd like not to stay idle until then. :)

28 Aug
My first advise ....start jogging to improve your cardio. ...It burns fat and put you in a better condition to go further. Eat healthier, drink more water,and remember good sleep helps also ...good luck .you are a winner
29 Aug
Thanks Obinna!
29 Aug
You welcomev
Image_thumb
214 Posts
Aug 27, 2015 4:22pm
via Android

Instead of plank hop outs and side planks, try doing regular hand planks until you feel you are getting strong enough to try the more advanced(is that the right word?) ones. Do what **you** feel you can do without it being the bare minimum just to slide by. Push yourself but know that if there is a workout you aren't able to do right now, that is perfectly okay. I can speak from experience and say, a lot of exercises I can do now, I could not a few months ago. You work on it. You get stronger and then one day you look back in amazement that you CAN do it now.
It is hard work but YOU CAN do it. It won't happen overnight and it may not happen next week, but you WILL get there. It just takes time.
As for alternatives. If there are moves you're unsure if there is a beginner version, ask! or try youtube. I know I have had to search youtube alot for different moves and just correct form, etc. I don't like asking people for help or letting on that I may need it. One of my flaws I guess.

Okay so yeah... Not sure of that helped at all but there ya go and good luck on your journey!

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Aug 27, 2015 4:28pm
via Android

Thank you Amber, that does help! :-)

27 Aug
Great! I'm glad it does (: I suck at words and helping people normally
Image_thumb
342 Posts
Aug 28, 2015 1:45am
via Android

Welcome the first step is always the hardest!  There is a lot of support on here if your willing to stick with it!
Good luck on your journey!

28 Aug
Susan I was also going to add you can always substitute a exercise, those aren't set in stone! Remember also its always a good idea to have a healthy diet, everything takes time, they didn't build Rome over night! LOL That's why most people drop out so fast they want instant results, I wish that's the way it happens but unfortunately it doesn't! Again good luck!
28 Aug
Thank you Dawna! :-) I stayed improving my diet last week and I'm already feeling the difference! :-) I know my original post sounds pretty discouraged, but I'm actually feeling pretty good about this do far, it's just trying to figure out what kind of workouts will be doable for me, and what kind of substitutions make sense for the harder moves, gets puzzling pretty fast. ;-)
28 Aug
Stayed -> started. Autocorrect.
28 Aug
Yes it can be, you can always ask for help on here! Keep up the great work you will get there! :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51