My 13 week challenge

43 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 19, 2015 4:43am
via Android

A few years ago a coworker put together a 12-week physique+tone women's workout and at that time I didn't know anything about weights or exercise.
Ihave modified it here because I don't have access toa gym. I will be starting it Monday. Right now I only have the first part done, which will be week 1 through 4.  Spring Physique ❧ Week 1- 4: Workout 1 , Spring Physique ❧ Week 1- 4: Workout 2 , Spring Physique ❧ Week 1- 4: Workout 3 and Spring Physique ❧ Week 1- 4: Workout 4 ( edited ) This Program is 13 weeks, this is to get in shape by March 20th (1st day of spring)
I will post my progress here. Anyone is welcome to join me, in fact it would be nice to have someone to share this journey with.
Today I weigh 151.4 lbs. My goal is to tone up and gain muscle, I am no longer going to worry about the scale.

19 Dec
Good challenged. Mine every 4 weeks its still on the way to be the goal
19 Dec
Nice Yas!
26 Dec
Good job too you
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Dec 19, 2015 7:59am
via Android

Planning is always best but let me know about  your diet as well because exercise just works for 30%.Nutrition counts more.

20 Dec
Not quite sure what you want to know. It'll be about 40-45% Protein, 30% fats, 30% carbs. I'll probably fluctuate the fats and carbs to fit my protein intake. But no more than 30% carbs/fats.
21 Dec
You got me very rightly..
21 Dec
40-45 % protein is safe?did you consult from your trainer or nutritionist?
21 Dec
High prorein can be dangerous for liver.Read somewhere.
21 Dec
Ha! I wish. This app is my trainer and skimblers are my nutrionists. If I can even EAT 40 % Protein I'll be happy. Truth be told Sara. I'm going to drink plenty of water to keep my liver happy. Don't worry, I've come very accustomed to listening to my body. Thanks for concern.
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 23, 2015 2:08am
via Android

Yesterday day one:
P: 40%
C: 35%
F: 25%
So, a little off. I had to change my w/o around a bit because it was too long.
Boyfriend made me help him do his Xmas shopping today,  then I took a nap! It was so tiring out there!
Still need to do todays.... I will.

13 Jan
I'm starting late, but I'm in. I purchased a couple skimble programs prior to seeing this, and may incorporate these. My biggest issue is laziness & lack of MORNING motivation, where I found it to be the most opportune time in my schedule to workout. But procrastination sets in...along with unnecessary wasted time looking at my phone & the time slips by. I CRAVE inspiration and determination. Need it badly.
13 Jan
It's ok to start late. I've been tweaking the workouts anyway to fit my strength level anyway. ( I'm weak in arms and core) I workout at night usually cuz it takes so darn long to wake up in the morning. :-)
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 23, 2015 6:37pm
via Android

Day 2 yesterday was challenging! I have now modified them all to only be 6 rounds. 12 is just not feasible at the moment.
P: 37%
C: 32%
F: 31%

I may do one today cuz I'll be busy next few days.

26 Dec
Hi .I am very interested to know about your meal plan like what food you are taking in breakfast, lunch, dinner and as snack???I am working on proper foods to take on right time.still struggling.
09 Feb
Great job Ali!! @sara it doesn't have to be all that scientific and measured to the slightest % and gram... just use common sence and eat healthy. We all know what's healthy and what is not. It's much more important that you start/keep eating healthy and exercising, when you have made a habit out of it then you can start thinking about 32% vs 35% of carbo or whatever
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 26, 2015 6:25pm
via Android

So I switched pushups in for 90 degree hang. My goal will be by the end of the 13 weeks (March 20) to be able to do at least 1 pull up on that new pull up bar I got.
Sara: everyone is different. You should explore what works for you. Some people eat 5 - 7 times a day...little meals throughout the day which can be helpful to speed up metabolism. I am no expert. I can tell you what I'm doing,  but it may not work the same for you...I might even be wrong!
I've been eating 5 meals a day. One meal/snack is a protein shake with BCAA's in it (to help muscle soreness).
I do not like the taste of meats...(I'm weird) so eating protein, especially 40% is challenging.  I also hate sweets and protein powders are almost all sweet or chemically. This makes it more challenging because I'm in the process of baking something I like/can eat with my protein powder in order to help me with my goals.
Of course there are many other ways to get protein but some come with high carbs or other factors.
I eat what I can. I have no income at the moment which makes all of this even more difficult.
I can't go out and buy a lot at a time...but that seems to be best for most people.
So Sara,  off the top of my head, I eat a lot of eggs, salads, quinoa, chicken,  Rolled oats (oatmeal with honey) and fish (which is my favorite meat) I love sardines ( most people hate these) I eat sardines almost everday with rice crackers.
I read labels. I don't eat things I can't pronounce and foods with short ingredients list.
My own personal goal is to omit enriched (bleached) white flour from my diet completely. This is another challenge! But I've been doing well.
I don't eat a lot of fruits, mostly because like I said I don't like sweet...but I put them in my protein shake which is already sweet and then I can just gulp it down. I eat bananas a lot though.
I eat lots of avocado, although been pricey lately.  As a snack I eat with corn chips or in corn tortillas ("Mexican food" ) I eat a lot of beans. Mostly black. I also drink a lot of milk.
I go to the store every other day, so I buy what I can when I can. I use my fitness pal to log my meals in the morning,  so I know what I can eat for the day....this changes of course if I leave my house.
At this point in my life I think many people would be depressed and eating like crazy (I moved to a very small town recently away from everything I know)...I am in a funk...a really weird time in my life. I have no job, I have no local friends,  I live with my mother and boyfriend (Im at the mercy of what they will allow me to buy) and they take care of me. It's unusual for me to be unemployed. I barely leave the house unless to look for work...anyway what I'm saying is, my situation is different as everyone's is. I can't plan my meals but in the morning each day at the moment. Sometimes if good chicken (not pumped with hormones and drugs) is on sale I can cook it in a crock pot and make food for the week. 
You're situation may allow you to buy for a week, and if it does I suggest you do that. Read labels. Only eat things you know what they are. Just eat certain stuff in moderation... Read info on health. Read info on your background too, different ethnic backgrounds have difficulty eating different things.  See what works for you. Try eating 5-7 little meals a day. Try Journaling or using a calorie counter like my fitness. But I don't suggest following what I do...
I'm in my own exploration of what works for me...
Hope this long long message helps...
Would you like me to post what I eat everday to this thread? It couldn't hurt actually.  Why don't I do that. :-)

26 Dec
I've figured out a lot from reading Scotty K ' topics, Jovon has helped me a lot too. DJ and Vivienne have given great advice on both nutrition and workouts. Follow people on here and search the forums. Mario has a good one on healthy recipes. I haven't figured out how to link to them on my mobile phone but I spend time reading and searching this app for info. The Internet is helpful some too.
27 Dec
I appreciate your reply.that ia very long and i read it;-)..well you are doing great..i am also looking for protein shake option(home made).i found one.:-) yeah I read a lot on net, here,blogs of fitness pal.
09 Feb
Great stuff Ali! I'm in a similar situation, just moved from a big city to a small town at the coast (actually I'm living outside the town, with just few dussin houses around), trying to eat well with what my budget allows and I started surfing again :-). That's why I don't have a lot of exercises logged here, I basicly surf, run on the beach and do trx / bodyweight exercises. Anyways, keep up the good job
09 Feb
Thanks Alta
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 27, 2015 6:08am
via Android

P: 32%
C: 37%
F: 31%

It was those crackers and duck pate I got for my birthday that ruined it, lol. ( my boyfriends parents own a restaurant so they gave us fancy foods for Xmas and my bday.
Today's workout was good. Leg curls were tough at 25 lbs.
I had 2 eggs over easy with 1 slice of wheat bread. (Dave's killer - Good seed)
Snack:Crackers and duck pate ( I know, I know)
Snack:Protein shake
Lunch: quinoa, chicken, salsa, avocado,  blk. Beans.
Dinner: boca burger, tomato,  avocado, spinach,1 slice cut into a bun- bread and salad oil and balsamic with carrots.
Tomorrow is my birthday bash. I may not write!

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 28, 2015 6:03am
via Android

I didn't eat too bad today but it's not worth mentioning on fitness....( Mmmm ribs, white russians and cake).
I am totally wiped out by my making up for Thursday and Friday this weekend. Wish tomorrow was rest day cuz I feel the DOMS already. (Hardly delayed!)
I've been using my curl bar instead of my barbell and I wonder if it's balanced differently because my back is killing me more than usual. ( did lunges today and bent rows the other day) maybe it's just my form. Maybe I'm just weak.
Tomorrow I turn 31. See you then skimblers! 

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 29, 2015 12:28am
via Android

Yeah, I'm gonna have a lazy day today. ...I deserve it. It's my birthday!

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Dec 31, 2015 5:38pm
via Android

Yesterday I started the 2nd week of my challenge.  Monday I took a lazy day and Tuesday I was gone all day.
My P: was 32%
C: 40%
F : 28%
I had lunch with my sister in law who is Korean.  She made lunch. Pork lettuce wraps with red pepper/bean paste, Black rice, garlic and a spicy soy dressing for the salad.
I had my banana protein muffins for breakfast (proteinpow recipe).
Dinner was a little of this and that cuz we have too many leftovers. Rice crackers and some duck pate, a bite or 2 of pasta salad from my birthday,  bowl of crispix cereal.
Tomorrow will be a rest day! Happy new year!

31 Dec
Oh and I increased my bench press from 20 to 25 lbs..
10 Jan
I weighed 173LBS
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 3, 2016 6:11am
via Android

Today was lower body. I wore my 6 lb. Ankle weights and did 30 lb. Leg extensions 25 lb leg curls (which was super difficult) and 10 lb. Calf raises.  15 lb. Deadlifts.
I still have too many leftovers to try and be eating really well. This happens when you can't purchase your own food!
I did ok cuz I made the proteinpow banana muffins.
C: 45
F: 23%
I had pasta salad for breakfast. ( eggs just sounded boring and it needs to be eaten)
Protein muffins for lunch (2)
Turkey burger for dinner (1 slice wheat bread)
I've decided I hate leg curls.

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 3, 2016 6:59pm
via Android

My Goals
So, starting today no more excuses and no more holiday leftovers!

1) Grow muscle, shed fat.
I will do this by increasing my weight during strength training. I hope to be using all the weight I own by March 20th. (4, 10 lb weights. 2, 25 lb weights. 2, 5 lb. 2, 2.5) so that's 105 lbs.
After that I'll need to buy some new ones.
2) flexibility.
By doing Yoga everyday I hope to loosen my muscles. I have contracted muscles all over my body. Mostly my legs and back. (and I don't mean shortening, I mean muscles are tight)
I hope to be able to touch my palms to the ground in a forward bend or touch my toes when sitting with legs extended. I would love to be able to do  reverse prayer and Gomukhasana arms (touching hands behind back).
3) learn to make more protein rich foods which help me with my gains. I'm no vegetarian,  but I don't like meat much...and I'm getting tired of fish! I plan to read more about foods high in protein and once I'm employed again I can start planning (and making) meals again for the week.
4) Have a better attitude.  I've been a bit down because I moved away from my friends and everything I knew and the job market has been tough.
By March I hope to know that all this change is good. That the more No's I get closer to a yes in my job search and try not to get discouraged.
As far as friends,  they are still there just all 1600 miles away. Maybe by next winter I'll meet someone.  I've joined groups and met people but so far no friends. My skimblers are honestly a god send. Otherwise I'd have no social life.
Anyway. I want to find a way not to feel so bad about my situation. I guess a way to accomplish this is to reflect? Or maybe just stop thinking!?
Get wasted everyday? (Lol) kidding.
Right now I just read a lot, keep my mind occupied. Job applications also take WAY too much time.

I think this is a good start.
I'm at about 26% body fat. I hope by next January to be down to 15%? Is that reasonable?

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 4, 2016 3:53am
via Android

So, Mondays are going to be my rest days cuz it's my boyfriends day off. ( I dunno why I tried to make Monday a workout day)
Week 2 is complete and I set some goals for myself.
Today I ate pretty great!
*Eggs and bacon 1 toast slice
*Quinoa "fried rice". w/ egg, crumbled turkey burger, carrots, broccoli, onion, gr. Onion,  tomato, mushrooms. (basically everything in the fridge that needed to get eaten)
* Protein shake
* Protein banana nut muffin
* Korean steak lettuce wraps, ssamjang and garlic and salad.
P: 37%
C: 35%
F: 28%

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 5, 2016 8:57pm
via Android

Ha! I just realized I screwed up the order in which I planned to do my excercise. Supposed to alternate upper and lower,  oops!
I also changed the workouts a bit. I'm adding negative pushups to the mix and may help with gaining upper body strength. Still will do reg. pushups too.

I started creating weeks 5-8. They were supposed to be basically the same exercises but I have changed them to hopefully still work the same muscle groups. It will help me from being bored too and possibly a plateau. (Although I doubt my body is there yet)
Feeling better today. Pretty sure I screwed my lower back up from bad deadlift form.
Still in good numbers with P, C & F during rest day.

05 Jan
Changed each title to avoid my own confusion to workout 1-4.:-)
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 7, 2016 11:03pm
via Android

Yesterday I began week 3. I like the small changes to eorkout. Shorter rests and cardio instead of sprints.
My macros yesterday
P: 35%
C: 37%
F: 28%
* usual protein shake
* 2 eggs over easy, polenta and fruit.
* turkey burger patty with salsa fresca
* chicken breast sandwich with center cut bacon, avocado,  tomato,  lettuce and a few corn (tortilla) chips.
30 lb. Bench seemed heavier than last time. I kept everything else at 20 lbs because my back is a bit sore from last week.

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 9, 2016 8:57pm
via Android

Ugh. Man, no matter how many things I watch I just have a hard time remembering all the things needed to do a proper deadlift. I've gotten a lot of great advice though.
I'll get it. I'll practice with just the bar this weekend.
There's a girl I know, my only friend here, (she moves away next week though) she used to compete. I'm going to ask her to critique me tomorrow. She's giving me some free chickens!  I'm excited! Free eggs!
So yesterday I was exhausted and I didn't increase weight. Same as last week.
My macros suffered a bit too even though I took my lunch to the 3 hour exam for USDA.
C: 38%
F:30.
I need to kick everything up a notch next week. I'm still behind for this week!

09 Jan
Deadlifting is a slow process to get it right. We've all been there so don't get disheartened
11 Jan
Trying!
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 10, 2016 2:11am
via Android

Travel Ready you should watch it. And you burn your calories in people.

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 10, 2016 5:40pm
via Android

I'm having one of those days, ya know, when you wake up and feel discouraged? I know progress is slow, but mine is like a snail!
I've been teetering back and forth between 151 and 153 lbs.
I know I said I wouldn't look at the scale...I wish I wouldn't. I also know it could be muscle. Although I don't see the definition yet, I can feel I am getting stronger.
I'm just in pain everyday....I started working out to build strength in my body, hoping the pains would go away. I'm not talking about DOMS. I'm talking about things like tight muscles, collapsing arches, tendenitis. I have an unusual amount of muscles that are so tight they ache all day everday.
I've been doing yoga to try and loosen and stretch but I wake up in pain and well, it gets discouraging.
I know I've only been at it a few months. Yoga everyday since October '15...it's just that today is more of this pain than an average day.
I don't mean to complain, I low that's what I'm doing, I'm sorry to anyone who reads this. It's just one of those days.
As I mentioned,  I wonder how long it'll take for me to get in the 140's and  130's and then 120!
It's probably my diet, which I am doing my absolute best. Maybe I need more cardio.
It's just hard as a human being to be patient!  2 months is nothing I know as far as working out almost everyday, like I said today I just want to see some results.
<End whiny bitchy rant.>

10 Jan
My macros yesterday weren't great. I was out and about and only ate twice. 2 eggs over easy 1 sausage link and 1 toast slice breakfast. Steak eggs toast (wheat always) hash browns at restaurant for dinner. P: 26% C: 41% F: 32%.
10 Jan
You need to get rid of the scale, that can be your enemy! You need to start going by how you feel and not the number, as difficult as that might be that is what needs to be done..... Just saying... Ok I am done.....lol Have a great day!
10 Jan
Yea, I always resort back to the scale after a few days looking in the mirror. I can't wait for the time when I look in the mirror and go, "Dam, you're hot". lol. Not that I don't think I'm beautiful. :-)
10 Jan
It will come just be patient! Diet is also very important!
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 12, 2016 7:04pm
via Android

Yesterday I was busy picking up furniture at the thrift store and moving various furniture around the house. Things are slowly coming together. I leave for Indiana tomorrow so I'll be missing my workouts but may try to incorporate some at my Uncle's. Although I did a lot yesterday I missed the last workout. I'll do it later today. Yesterday macros.
P:31
C:32
F:36
I need to incorporate more cardio. My tendonitis seems to be better.  Lots of hot baths and self massage. But still thinking running is off limits. I don't have access to machines,  so when I do it it's usually jogging in the house, kettle bell swings with weights or light jumping jacks.
I need to figure out how to do more without compromising my calves and having tendonitis again. Collapsing arches have my feet in pain and jumping too much seems to cause flair ups.
I'll think on this.

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 13, 2016 5:43am
via Android

End of week 3.
I'll have some catching up to do. I leave for a few days, we'll see if I can sneak in a few wo's.
Today I really tried to eat more protein. All we had was pork tenderloin (my least favorite next to chicken) for meat.
P: 36%
C: 42%
F: 22%
I had Plain Greek Yogurt with Hemp and chia seeds, flaxseed meal, banana and granola.
Lunch "ancient grains" ( rice, oats etc) and black beans, onion, garlic, parsley.
Protein shake minus hemp, chia, flaxseed.
Dinner pork tenderloin,  carrot, cauliflower.
Snack: Sockeye salmon and a few rice crackers.
When I get back I'll have a plan for cardio....

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 20, 2016 6:29am
via Android

Week 4 day 1
So this will end up a 12-week challenge since I was gone... that's ok.
Hooray I did awesome today!
P: 39%
C: 32%
F: 29 %
I made a quiche for breakfast with center cut bacon, salsa fresca cumin and chili powder.
Lunch was "ancient grains", more salsa and black beans.
Dinner a whole crab with lemon and butter
Protein shake snack.

40lb. Bench press.
32 lb. Bent over rows, shoulder press and 3 sets of bicep curls
3 sets bicep curls with just 10 lb. weights.
10 lb. Skull Crusher
15 min. Light jog.

I'm exhausted.  Good night.

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 22, 2016 6:09am
via Android

I've been bad about keeping up with this. Yesterday was a lower body day. I increased deads to 40 lbs. 40 lb leg extensions and leg curls remain at 30lbs.
P35
C39
F26

I did 30 day Shred 20 min wo for cardio.
I don't remember what I ate. Except a protein shake.
Today I was dead. I just did a ton of yoga but I was gone most the day. Had an interview and did some job searching.
Today I had Greek yogurt for breakfast
Leftover ancient grains with chicken and black beans.
Dinner a cheeseburger no bun with fried egg, tomato, avocado and sautéed mushrooms and onions
P33
C33
F34

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 23, 2016 5:27am
via Android

P:  31
C: 32
F: 38

For breakfast I had my first fresh chicken egg and a slice of toast
Usual protein shake
Green chile pork tacos with cheese homemade salsa avocado and pinto beans with corn tortillas.
Had about a cup of my mom's homemade SOS without the "shingle".
Glad this set of workouts is almost done...getting really bored!
Day 3 week 4 complete!

23 Jan
Hi. I like your challenge you have going on. I had to stop and read it. I too have a challenge going on as well. It's 13 weeks. I started two weeks ago. This is my 3rd week right now which will ends on Sunday and starts up again on Monday. I created a cardio workout on the app but then decided to do the "Just Dance 2" as my cardio (on my Wi)i. It gets me sweating (dripping sweat). I do 9 songs a day. That's 3/12 min per song. Then before bed I do my ab workout. The...
23 Jan
Very nice you said so. Thank you and good luck in your journey:-)
Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 24, 2016 6:10am
via Android

I got nothing done workout wise today. Just too busy but I hope to do my last workout for week 4 tomorrow morning. I have another busy day tomorrow.
P:31
C:34
F:36
Scrambled eggs and potatoes for breakfast
Green chile pork tacos same as yesterday for lunch
Crab for dinner with lemon
Banana bread protein muffin homemade for snack
I must finish tomorrow so I can start week 5-8!!!!!!!!!!

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Jan 24, 2016 11:26pm
via Android

I have joined !! It will post when I do first workout

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 25, 2016 6:26am
via Android

Today I finished week 4. Week 5-8 Spring Physique ❧ Week 5- 8: Workout 1
Spring Physique ❧ Week 5- 8: Workout 2
Spring Physique ❧ Week 5- 8: Workout 3
Spring Physique ❧ Week 5- 8: Workout 4
Exhausted.  Got some free "new" furniture and moved it all around today.
P:36
C:32
F 32.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51