5 posts | Original | Recent
11 Posts
Feb 7, 2016 9:14pm
via Android

So I'm following a 12 week weight lifting fat loss program. The program basically consists of 3 full body workouts per week with squats, deadlifts, and a few upper body movements. The rest period between each set is about 1 minute. The other 3 days I'm suppose to do 20 minutes of hiit or 40 minutes of steady state cardio. Honestly I just can't bear being on a cardio machine for 40 minutes so I'll either do hiit on the bike or stairmaster. Why does it feel like I'm not doing enough cardio to get the results I want? Am I just trying to move too fast? I'm at 260 pounds now and I have seen results and feel stronger since I started. I'm still trying to perfect my diet as far as macros are concerned. I figured I should be consuming about 1650 calories but conflicted on my macro ratios. I'm thinking of eating 40p/40f/20c on my weight lifting days and 40p/40c/20f on my cardio guys. Sorry for the long post and advice would be appreciated.

951 Posts
Feb 8, 2016 2:00am
via Android

Everything sounds great, especially your attitude.

Is interesting to me that your macro ratios are almost opposite mine.
Are you under the direction of a trainer or is this a program you found yourself? Are you tracking your calories? Are you in a caloric deficit everyday? I've been doing this carb cycling recomp thing where, on lifting days, I eat slightly above maintenance so I can build muscle, with macros high carb @ 30p/20f/50c. Then, on non lifting days, I eat at a rather large deficit, with macros low carb @ 45p/35f/20c.  It's been going pretty well, with both weight loss and strength gains.  I'm no expert at this, as for now I think macros are kind of a personal thing that we can figure out as we go, how we feel and what works.

I find it easier to eat a deficit with low carbs, plus, it's supposedly good for muscle building to have an adequate carb supply. My protein consumption on any day is quite high.

Don't worry about doing "enough" cardio. It's just a bonus, really. As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. Exercise is necessary to build muscle, but not necessary for weight loss. I just like knowing that I can jog further than I could before, and it's nice to see the calories burned... But most weight loss is going to come from your discipline with nutrition.

211 Posts
Feb 8, 2016 11:02pm

I agree to almost everything Patrick said. Let me just add:
In general, you should eat less carbs, especially almost no carbs which only are simple sugar. Much protein and "good" fat is always right.

I only disagree about the cardio thing. Cardio is not just important for your health, it also helps burning more calories (you activate in about 70% of your muscles) and if you also do slow cardio frequently (30min are enough), your muscles will build more enzyme, which burn fat all the day.

My suggestions are: Keep your lifting, continue HIT or HIIT and do 2-3 times a week slow cardio (jogging, walking, biking).

As Patrick said, you're on the right path. It also takes time, you always will be on plateaus. In these times, you might think you don't see any progress. But inside your body, you ARE changing.

Congrats for what you have achieved so far. Just love what you're doing and look forward to the next steps:)

11 Posts
Feb 8, 2016 11:21pm
via Android

You mean more cardio lol

211 Posts
Feb 9, 2016 12:11am

Yes lol.. but it doesn't have to be a cardio machine. You can go walking, riding the bike, jogging or even swimming. And it's ok to replace some with HIT or HIIT, if you're able to. But it would be better, to do some slow cardio the day after HIT.

And to make it clear: You're doing a lot if you do all that you said, which I don't doubt. You're on the right path! I just say it's better to add some cardio. Better for your health and better to get results.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51