No time to exercise. Help!

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 6, 2017 6:41am
via Android

I really want to get in shape and lose all the weight I've gained over the past few years. The problem is that I feel that I have zero time to exercise. I work two jobs. One evening the other overnight and I also go to school in the morning. So if I'm not at school I'm either at work or sleeping. Once my class ends I'll have more time but that won't be until the end of February. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Edit: I live in Minnesota in the dead of winter. Outdoor activities are a no go. Lol.

06 Jan
Feb isn't very far away so that's good. maybe in the meantime run to work/school?
07 Jan
a very good start to weight loss is to reduce your processed sugar and alcohol intake. reduce! not stop. If you're doing this on your own, rope a friend in to do it with you OR make realistic small steps. Exercise. I'm just getting back into it, after 2years of absolutely nothing! I've started doing a few push ups, sit ups, 10sec plank before jumping in the shower. Feels stupid and a bit pointless but the 2nd week i felt like picking up a notch. I find figuring out what to start of with is the hardest part.
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 6, 2017 11:34am
via Android

Try HIIT Training! Very effective in little time Ten to twenty minutes three to five times per week are enough. For me personally, this worked amazing!
And of course, try to get moving throughout the day with taking the stairs, bike instead of car etc.
Good luck

Image_thumb
1027 Posts
Jan 6, 2017 12:22pm
via Android

Finding your own ways to kind of trick yourself into changing is a big part of the process. Everyone has their own excuses and their own tricks they need to get around them.

No time to exercise is a really common excuse. I call it an excuse, not to downplay it's importance, since it's a very real problem, but to try to illustrate that anything we allow to get in our way ends up being an excuse, whether it's a good excuse or not.

The good news in your case is that weight loss doesn't actually take any time, necessarily. Exercise is great, and wonderful, and very healthy, and helpful to lose weight, but not NECESSARY. The only requirement to lose weight is that you eat fewer calories than you burn. You can burn more through exercise, or eat less, or both.

So for people who have no time, weight loss is really, once you figure out how to make it work, one of the easiest fitness goals.

Different food habits, finding alternatives, prepping healthy food ahead of time can actually save you time while also helping meet your weight loss goals.

I highly recommend using myfitnesspal to track what you eat. Even if only to track what you eat for a week before making any changes, and to really have the problem points made much clearer.

I recommend small, incremental changes to your habits. Small things you can easily stick to until they are ingrained habits. Like buying a nice water bottle and drinking more water in the day. Switching out liquid calories for water can make a big difference in the long run.

Maybe try getting some plain unsweetened yogurt and plain oatmeal. Mix up a small container of oatmeal in some yogurt, add a little water to the mix, let it soak overnight in the fridge. It's ready to eat the next morning with no cooking. Add some fruit for sweetness, I like prunes, raisins, bananas, apples... anything really. Toss in a few peanuts and/or grape nuts for a bit of crunch. Maybe add a small dose of some cacao nibs for a superfood boost. That's a power breakfast.

Finding some convenient little containers and chopping a bunch of veggies for snacks for the whole week, even something as easy as baby carrots, which you can buy ready to eat, and then just package up to take with you.
I find it extremely easy to make healthy food choices if I've already made them hours or days before and the food is already prepared for when I'm hungry and on the run. I have a whole special food bag I take to work with me, with everything I plan to eat. I don't take all that much time to prep it either. Some fruit, a couple cheese sticks, some chopped veggies, some protein shake to mix later with water, maybe some yogurt. Some nuts and raisins. It saves me time later, and almost guarantees that I won't be making any impulsive choices that set me back.

This is one way to get started. Making even one different food choice, sticking with it, then adding a new change a week later, can really add up.

06 Jan
also, squats and lunges. they're awesome, and a huge compound movement for burning some calories. you can do them anytime, anywhere. you don't have to set aside a whole workout time. just do a few bodyweight squats. keep track of how many you do throughout the whole day. Example: do five in the morning, do three in the bathroom at work, do ten before lunch, do five later when you get home, do ten after dinner... whatever. even one or two, done a few times in a day, is boosting your burn for the day. you might be surprised at...

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,230 topics, 38,324 posts

Motivation & Support

8,518 topics, 41,745 posts

App Updates

14 topics, 47 posts

Ask the Pros

722 topics, 1,835 posts

Workouts and Programs