Good workouts to substitute push-ups?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Aug 22, 2013 11:27pm
via Android

I recently broke my wrist and needed major surgery.. I'll be up to par soon, but I just don't have time to sit around and wait until I can do push-ups again. I ship out to basic training for the AirForce on October 1st.

I need to find other work-outs to substitute for push-ups until I can do the real thing.

THANKS
-Krystal

Image_thumb
953 Posts
Aug 23, 2013 12:27am
via Android

Wow that is a tough one I am sitting here trying but can't think of anything that doesn't involve your wrist unless you did some kind of custom thing with strapping stuff to your forearm or something...idk. Do you have access to a gym? like maybe the butterfly machine could help a little so you're not completely off. Or just lighter weights you could press up? You could still press up a dumbbell with your good hand either way. But wow that's a tough question. Good luck.

23 Aug
Yea, I can do most everything else with my wrist. There's just something about putting it into that position with all the weight.. Does a bench press work out the same muscles?
23 Aug
A bench press and a push-up work pretty much the same muscles, yes. Think about it, a bench press is pretty much a reverse push-up, except you're using external weight instead of your body weight.
Image_thumb
42 Posts
Aug 23, 2013 2:26am
via iOS
To be honest i can't think of any exercise that works chest like pushups that does not use wrists
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Aug 23, 2013 2:52am
via iOS
The one exercise that you can do to work your chest without putting pressure on your wrists is chest flyes on a machine. Ideally, on one with pads where you place the insides of your arms on the at a 90 degree angle. However, instead of putting them at a 90 degree angle put them straight out and push them in using just the pressure of your forearms. Squeeze your chest tight on your contraction. This will allow your wrist to heal without any added stress and you can still stimulate your chest. Good luck with the healing and thank you so much for service!
23 Aug
I can put weight on my wrist, just not in the push-up position (yet)...I think because that's the way I broke it.
Image_thumb
25 Posts
Aug 23, 2013 3:30am
via iOS
Dips

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51